Beyrouth, Europe with a Middle-East flavour


Advertisement
Lebanon's flag
Middle East » Lebanon » Beirut
May 18th 2007
Published: May 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

My lebanese icecreamMy lebanese icecreamMy lebanese icecream

Yes, I'm still very greedy
I have been in Beyrouth for a couple of days now, and I think I fell in love with it.
It has a little something that Syria, or Turkey didn't have, the immense opening to the outside world, to Europe, to becoming after all the tragedies, war, terror and destroys, once again and for all the party capital of the Middle East. and it is quite succeeding into becoming one.

The first impression I had was to feel back in Tel Aviv, in Israel. Not that both antagonists cities look the same, but it's the vibrant vibe I found in here, the funkiness of beiroutis people who managed to put up hot clubs in former part of Beyrouth that had seen enough of shattered blood during the civil war, the real buzz in the city, that is very much like its neighbour.
I encountered many christians in Beyrouth, some muslims too, though I.m still waiting for my little trip to Sabra and Chattila to get to meet some more, also go close to the Golan Heights part of Lebanon, and have a better view of what is kind of portrayed by the Media back at home.
Most of the people I've met have different views on the situation. It would be too quick to say christians and muslims are very much divided into two clans, some wanting the complete retreat of Hezbollah, some hoping it will come into power. No it's not like that at all. Where some agree on the fact that hezbollah, whatever they do, are lebanese people, some others will on the other hand pray for Israel to come back and finish the ugly work.




Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Rafik Hariri, former prime minister of LebanonRafik Hariri, former prime minister of Lebanon
Rafik Hariri, former prime minister of Lebanon

Killed in february 2005 by a bombing of about 1000 kg of TNT explosives.
Bullets impactsBullets impacts
Bullets impacts

Not very hard to find in Beyrouth, most of the buildings have them
New versus deadNew versus dead
New versus dead

The contrast between the new colourful buildings and the bulletsfull greyish one is striking.
Fishing Fishing
Fishing

Some was to spend your time, going fishing along the promenade in Beyrouth. Exclusively for men.
Diving experienceDiving experience
Diving experience

watch out for the barbwires!
Swimming afternoonSwimming afternoon
Swimming afternoon

The lower mostly muslim population of Beyrouth, enjoying the freshness of the sea along the promenade. They cannot afford the pricy and exclusively christians-visited private beaches next door.
Smokin'Smokin'
Smokin'

In Jounieh after a nice day of walking around
SimonSimon
Simon

Such a cool kid, a bit wirld too


Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0618s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb