Jordan - Day 4 - King's Way


Advertisement
Jordan's flag
Middle East » Jordan » West » Al Karak
March 31st 2014
Published: April 2nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


I had a good sleep after the day at Petra, so we went down early for breakfast at the El-Rashid Hotel. Again, this is budget, so the breakfast was very limited, but was not bad. I think they may make you an omelette upon request, but we just had bread and labneh, with tea/coffee. Then we took off.

We decided to head down the road less travelled and made our way towards Little Petra. Unfortunately, we took a wrong turn somewhere because the signs were not very forthcoming. We followed signs to Wadi Araba, but this is on the flatlands west of the mountains, which meant we took a windy mountain road that wound up ending in a gravel road with potholes. We were unsure how much further it was, so we turned back and found the way to King's Way and continued on.

The views leaving the Petra area were spectacular and the hills along the windy King's Way beautiful. There were various little towns along the way, but it was taking us forever to reach Al Karak, our first projected stop of the day. Finally Matt took over because I drive too slow! 😊 He sped our way towards Al Karak and we reached it by noon. It was impressive, but I will have to come back because I had to be at the airport by 2:30. We took some photos from various view points, driving through the crazy, narrow streets, and then headed back towards the much faster Desert Highway.

I was a little bummed because I wanted to see Madaba, with their impressive mosaics and historical Biblical sites. Plus, I didn't get to go to the Dead Sea. All this really means though is that I will be back to Jordan! It's a two and a half hour flight, and I still have much to see: The Dead Sea, Madaba, Mt Nebo, Jarash, Al Karak, and more of Amman. I really enjoyed this country. While the driving was much crazier than Qatar, the people were actually very friendly. Despite their tourist industry, it seemed to still be somewhat untouched and it was pleasant to view their everyday lives. While the majority of women wore headscarves, they were all over the place, so it seemed to be an open and friendly environment. The food was good, the prices were cheap, and everything was accessible. It was a great place and I was very happy to have gone with someone to share the experience with. Jordan should be on everyone's bucket list, but I think you need a full week to truly appreciate it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

King's Way King's Way
King's Way

below is the Dana Reserve


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb