Wadi Rum - desert safari


Advertisement
Jordan's flag
Middle East » Jordan » South » Wadi Rum
June 9th 2010
Published: June 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Wadi RumWadi RumWadi Rum

Catalina
The third destination was the spot where the movie Lawrence of Arabia was filmed, not because of the scenery, but because this was actually the place where Lawrence based his operatioins during the Arab Revolt of 1917-18. Yes, I did get this information from wikipedia, I never saw the movie of heard of this guy before I came to this place.

Here's the description of Wadi Rum as one of the Worlds greatest deserts:
Wadi rum is an outstanding desert landscape. Sheersided mountains of sandstone and granite emerge from open valleys to reach heights of over 1700 meters; and narrow canyons cut deep into the mountains, often concealing ancient rock drawings. This remarkable landscape is now a protected area covering 720 square kilometers and available for everyone to explore and enjoy!

And boy did I enjoy it😊 It was an AMAZING trip. We booked a packet deal from the hostel in Petra, and on the bus to Wadi Rum we met a nice guy from Australia to join our group. So when arriving to the entrance a chauffeur was waiting for us and drove us to a house in the village of Wadi Rum. Here we met Mohammed, the owner of the Sunset Camp. The four of us, Catalina, Scottish guy, Australian guy and me booked a jeeptour through the dessert with a personal driver for 4-5 hours. Inclusive in the price was lunch, dinner and breakfast. After the tour we would stay at the camp which was located in the middle of the park. We slepped in bedouin tents, saw the sunset, played soccer with the bedouins, had an awesome meal, smoked nargila while watching the most beautiful stary sky I have EVER seen in my life, INCREDIBLE!

During the jeep tour we stopped at different ruins, climbed in a canyon, climbed on rocks and walls, got stuck in the sand twice (took us at least half an hour to get out) and saw the most famous spots in of Wadi Rum. We ran down sanddunes and met a few camels. Our driver was so much fun and full of energy, we really felt like small children playing in a huge sandbox for an entire day without parents!

If you ever go to Jordan, stop by this place, it is incredible!


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Wadi RumWadi Rum
Wadi Rum

A spring
Wadi Rum CamelsWadi Rum Camels
Wadi Rum Camels

Our jeep and driver
It was as scary as it looks!It was as scary as it looks!
It was as scary as it looks!

Hehe, not really, but it was a little scary...
Wadi RumWadi Rum
Wadi Rum

Inscriptions


Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1121s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb