DRIVE TO PETRA, JORDAN


Advertisement
Jordan's flag
Middle East » Jordan » South » Petra
October 13th 2013
Published: October 13th 2013
Edit Blog Post

DRIVE TO PETRA - DAY 11

We left the Movenpick Resort and Spa on the Dead Sea and began the drive to the Movenpick Resort Petra. The bus stopped along the way at Mount Nebo, known as Pisgah in the Bible. On a clear day, Jericho, the Dead Sea, the Jordan River, Jerusalem and Amman can be seen. Construction prevented us from entering the Memorial Church of Moses, but we were able to see some of the 6th century mosaics, remarkably well preserved considering the age. There was a small museum and a great view from the mountain. This is where tradition has identified as the place Moses died and was buried, but it has been a site of pilgrimages for centuries. Jewish, Christian and Muslim faiths all recognize Moses as a prophet, so many visitors come to Mount Nebo.

We then drove through ancient biblical lands to Madaba to visit St. George’s Greek Orthodox Church and view an incredible 6th century mosaic map of all the major biblical sites of the time. Lunch was served in a local restaurant. Madaba is a small town but traffic, both vehicular and pedestrian, was very high. The narrow, crowded streets led to lots of horn blowing and I learned the value of having a Jordanian police officer on board. When our bus got blocked, he got off the bus and encouraged the truck driver to move. It worked and we made it through the traffic jam. We learned that the traffic and congestion was more than usual because the residents were preparing for the Eid holiday. One aspect of that is families buy sheep or goats to be sacrificed and some of the animal is given to the poor. Large numbers of sheep and goats were on sale.

Jordan is an interesting country, but the large number of flies bothered many of us and the trash along the highways detracted from the natural beauty of the landscape. Food was usually praised and certainly large quantities were available. About half way through the drive to Petra, we made a rest stop at a relatively large sales area. Some people bought souvenirs at the stop.

We pulled into our hotel about an hour before sunset. There is a rooftop bar and I went up to get a few pictures at sunset. Dinner was in the hotel restaurant. Good time, great companions! Tomorrow, visit the 2,000 year old city of Petra and ride a camel! ILYS


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

MOSAICS AT ST. GEORGE'SMOSAICS AT ST. GEORGE'S
MOSAICS AT ST. GEORGE'S

MADABA, 6TH CENTURY


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb