Petra


Advertisement
Jordan's flag
Middle East » Jordan » South » Petra
July 29th 2009
Published: July 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This past weekend marked a lot of travel. The first main stop was at the old ruins of Petra. This is an ancient city that is carved into the sides of a valley. Think of the Grand Canyon minus any water and with buildings in the walls. The people who lived here must have had a whole lot of time on their hands as they were able to devote so much time to making these various structures. The different "caves" were thought to be public buildings but are now thought to be tombs. It seems that the powerful people really do get some nice tombs. We started our day here pretty early (about 7am). This proved a smart idea because we were able to hike up the the top of a mountain before the sun came out to blast us in her furry. At the top of the mountain, there is an old sacrificial alter area. It gives a spectacular 360 view of Petra. From the top we could look down on all the next spots of the travel. We took a second way down the mountain that took us past more tombs and water collection systems. The builders of Petra were amazing at collecting water from every where. All along the mountains there are small ditches that lead water to large cisterns for storage. The other major stops on the trip were through the old roman street (those romans really liked to conquer) and to an old church across from the alter. There was also a nice theatre area.

Advertisement



4th August 2009

great commentary

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0307s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb