Weekend Trip 1


Advertisement
Jordan's flag
Middle East » Jordan » North » Jerash
July 12th 2009
Published: July 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So we did a lot of traveling yesterday. We started off in Irbid and went all the way to the northern border to the point we could see Syria. However, we didnt go up into Syria, which was prob a good thing but still was kinda sad since one more country to have to come back to visit. Anyways, we say a lot of Roman Ruins up there and got to look towards lake Tiberius (i think). I kinda forget all the names of the places but it was where Jesus took demons out off ppl and put them into pigs. Anyways we bummed around there looking at the different types of columns and read some greek. We then proceeded to load back into the for a ride up to the Ajlun Castle . This was a muslim strong hold during the times of the crusades and Ottamans. After looking over the stone walls and gazing at all the mountains covered in olive trees, we went back into the bus on hte way to Jerash. Along the way we stopped and graped some good Lebanese food. We were able to regather our strength for the hike to come through the Jerash ruins.

Jerash was the site of an old Roman city. Its claim to fame is the face that Hadrian stopped there. He had a nice arch built about the place to mark that he had been there. It seems people forgot where the traveled before the invention of Travel Blogs so instead built huge stone arches. Anyways, the city was pretty intact and such. There was a nice oval market place and two huge theaters. There were also a couple of other nice arches but my arabic wasnt too good to figure out who had these built. The other cool thing at the place is this rocking column. You put a knife under the like the 50ft column and balance the knife on a rock and see it move up and down. Who would have thought the Romans (who conquered the world) could get a giant marble column to stay in place. I guess this was just to foreshadow the building of the Leaning Tower of Pizza .

All the pics of these travels and such will be uploaded at some point in the near future. So stay tuned.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0287s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb