First real post


Advertisement
Jordan's flag
Middle East » Jordan » North » Amman
September 1st 2008
Published: September 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well, as it turns out (as of now) the University of Jordan doesn't allow their wireless users onto any email websites. Thankfully this internet cafe is close enough that I can get out and do my thing.

Ramadan began this morning, no eating/drinking/chewing gum in public from dawn until nightfall. It is an incredible sacrifice that these people all make. It is 100 degrees here and they go for 16 hours without any water... for a month! It really is impressive.

The program here is really great, the kids are a lot of fun and most of them are pretty cool. A lot of people are kinda similar to me... politically interested and historically knowledgable. It makes discussions quite interesting and rewarding... as lame as that sounds hahaha.

My apartment is huge! its maybe a 5 minute ($1.25) cab ride from the university. It is so nice! We have 3 or 4 chandeliers, I can't remember which. 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a full kitchen, a TV room (287 Channels), a living room, and an 8 person dining room table. All the ceilings are beautifully trimmed (if it was gold they would be gilded, I don't know what the word for that is) Both my roomates are really chill too. Matt is from Denver and goes to Denver University, is a senior. Phil is a junior and goes to Kansas University.

The whole experience is just incredible. It is so new and different, but not too different. Sure getting woken up by the call to prayer being BLASTED from the mosque next door at 4:12AM will take some getting used to, but thats part of the fun. The food is excellent, everyone is welcoming and friendly... it couldn't be much better.

Oh and I can't wait to see the results of my placement exam. I could only answer 27 questions out of the 110 asked hahaha. I wasn't even the worst! At least I'll be put in the right section.

Well, I am off to another cultural briefing...

lame

Advertisement



3rd September 2008

First of all, your not a 20-year old YET...wait a week or two bud...anyway sounds like its sick there. I guess we are kind of jealous none of us are abroad, but once you see the room you will be jealous you missed out on the fall. Make sure you buy your Columbia sun-protect hat that the commercials so beautifully advertise. Just had the first portion of the TCC today! It was glorious...did a 21:17 6k. A freshman walk on did a 10:30 run...he was an ex-cross country runner so that's unfair. Everyone is asking about you! Hung out with Kendra some this past weekend; that was fun. And all the guys miss you and want to put together a diesel boat that will only row 500m before dying. Keep in touch man. I love you. Nate P.S. Somehow two burger patties "magically appeared" in one of the seat cushions of your couch! We discovered it as it was rotting and smelling like dead fish in our common room and after we wasted two bottles of febreze and the smell wasn't gone...so now we have a couch with two cushions! I have a hunch who might have put them in there...

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb