Hammamat Ma'in (Ma'in Hot Springs).


Advertisement
Jordan's flag
Middle East » Jordan » North » Amman
October 21st 2007
Published: November 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our next stop, kid free, in Jordon was Hammamat Ma’in (Ma’in Hot Springs). . It is pretty cool. Ma'in is about 30 mins from Amman. My sister in law's husband drives a taxi in Amman so we did not have to worry about transportation. If you are not fortunate to have relatives who can drive, you can hire a van and driver for fairly cheap in Amman. We passed through Madaba, known for its mosaics that date back 3500 years, We stopped here to pick up our lunch. Chicken, rice, hummus and labne(yougurt). I would suggest bringing your lunc into Ma'in. I did catch a pic of some ruins here.Not sure when they date but they look cool. The huge waterfall, heated by uderground lava fissures, fills many baths below.Underneath the waterfall is a cavern that where water trickels out of a hole. This water is HOT. I am not sure how hot but you cannot put your toe in the small stream. I would say close to 120 or more. HOT. There are alos indoor pools, that are heated as well as saunas. As with many things in Amman, no coed. We spent most of the day here. Had lunch and entertained most of the many cats with the ramains of our chicken. It is quiet beautiful here but I there are a lot of bugs. You basically have to just let them annoy you.
One more bit of infor I forgot. THe Ma'in springs was once owned by the Jordanian governemnt. It was sold to the French and is now owned by Saudi Arabia. Hence, many improvements that have been made


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

hole under fallhole under fall
hole under fall

This is where the really hot water comes out.


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb