Journal entry 2 - Tel Aviv and Jaffa.


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » Tel Aviv District
February 6th 2011
Published: February 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Another great day. Started to really get the adventures underway. Walked around Tel Aviv/Jaffa with Neill and saw lots of old & new.
Jaffa is the old town which is very arabic and interesting with old labyrinth streets still used for craft & jewellery shops. Had a 'Shakshouka' for lunch with Neill, a very traditional Arabic meal basically consisting of a tomato sauce with eggs, sausages and vegetables cooked together and served in the saucepan... very tasty!

Jaffa has a lot of history but is interestingly the place where Perseus rode the Pegasus the winged horse to rescue from the Greek myth to rescue andromeda from the krakken sea monster ( famous from the film clash of the titans!). The rock where andromeda was meant to have been tied to by her father to be taken by the the krakken to appease the sea god is still there!

Then we went to south central tel aviv. There are lots of 'Bauhaus' buildings here as the city was started in the 1920s as the new modern style influenced from the bauhaus style was flourishing. As Israel didn't have a style the new city of tel aviv was able to establish the minimalist 'no style' of bauhaus as it's own! Very interesting architectural history for me! Then back to rishpon to see Noa & kids. And then we went back into tel aviv to meet up with noa's sister for food and a few drinks.

I also saw Neill & Noa's studio and Noa's mother's craft shop in the family grounds. The studio work they do is really interesting specialist artwork restoration and the craft shop is a proper shop full of unique arts and crafts from tel aviv and much from Thailand. I'll be getting something from there as a momento for sure! Jerusalem tomorrow and all the religious sites and political areas. Amongst other things Will do the stations of the cross. But instead of just looking at stations stuck on the wall of a church the stations will be where the actual events actually happened..!

back in the Rishpon Moshav now. Just got into bed. Early start tomorrow so nighty night.

Link to Pictures: Tel Aviv/Jaffa Pics

Advertisement



Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb