Journal day 3 - Jerusalem


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » Jerusalem District » Jerusalem
February 8th 2011
Published: February 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Got up early this morning about 6:30, had breakfast with Neill, Noa & the kids.then off to Jerusalem with Neill. Less than an hours drive from tel Aviv and rural scenery between the 2 cities; Tel aviv the main lively cosmopolitan contemporary city and Jerusalem the spiritual and political Israeli capital.

We arrived in Jerusalem around 9 and parked just at edge of the old fortified city and entered through the Jaffa gate by david's citadel. We walked straight through the bazars towards the temple mount as we had an arrangement to meet up with Neill's conserator employee Rami's father kallareb sahalmi. Kallareb just 'happens' to be the director of museum of Islamic foundation and library on the temple mount which are both located right beside the Dome on the Rock. I couldn't imagine a better tour guide. A very academic man and complete character he gave us tour of the museum which has not yet even been opened to the public since major restorations. He was able to talk to us personally about his collection of items of great religious/historical items. He then took us to see the new historical documents restoration facilities housed in the building right in front of the entrance to the famous Dome on the rock Mosque. Following that be gave us a tour around the gold domed mosque itself and the temple mount.

After taking us through the labrinthine bazars and us a pitta and hommous feast in his own fravourite eatery, pointed directed us to the 'Via Dolorosa,' believed to be (if not at least to commemorate) the path that Jesus took carrying the cross to crucifixion. This led us to the Church of the Holy Sepulcre. Inside the church you can feel the weight of the religious significance in the air, containing so many religious biblical locations and artefacts it's pretty overwhelming. But it contains the site of Golgotha and the supposed spot where Jesus was crucified and also the location of his tomb. I was able to kneel shortly at both these spots and reflect a while. It suddenly hit me of what an important role Christianity has played in my 30 years on this planet and how this was a special moment to be appreciated. A prayer or two wad made! No harm done.

Then we walked around the old city on top of the fortified ramparts which gave a great overview of the old city and the rest of jerusalem. We were the only people doing so as the thunder rolled and kicked off a hail storm of biblical proportions leaving us drenched. Then worked our way back to the western wall of the temple mount, known as the wailing wall, donned little skullcaps and joined the orthodox Jews down at the wall for a bit of wailing. A very unusual place!

Then out of the old city and back on the road before dark to tel aviv via a different route through the forests.
Then back to Rishpon for some good food, drink and chat.

Link to Pictures: JerusalemPics

Advertisement



Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb