Israel: Tel Aviv: Day 1 to 5


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » Tel Aviv District » Tel Aviv
June 8th 2023
Published: June 27th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Mediterranean Sea from Old JaffaMediterranean Sea from Old JaffaMediterranean Sea from Old Jaffa

Blues of the Mediterranean Sea
I have been tardy in writing this travel blog, but thought Israel definitely deserves a good write up given the beauty of the country.

I arrived in Tel Aviv (direct flight from India, 5.5 hours) and the first thing that hit me when I reached my hostel that it was Pride weekend and people were partying till late night. Over the next few days, I noticed that people like to socialise, hang out and party a lot, kind of celebrating whatever the cause may be.

My first day was on a walking tour of the Old City Jaffa. Jaffa (or Yaffo as it's called locally) is considered to be the oldest port city built in the world, claimed to be built by Japheth, the son of Noah (of Noah's Ark). It's a city depicted in Greek mythology where Poseidon chained Andromeda to a rock to be eaten by a sea monster, only to be rescued by Perseus.

With legends as those and a history of conquests and rule by multiple parties, Jaffa presents a microcosm of the history of Israel.

Today's Jaffa, next to the Mediterranean Sea, gives a glimpse of the old sitting next to the
Old JaffaOld JaffaOld Jaffa

Streets of Old Jaffa
new (the urban and bustling Tel Aviv).

I learnt that Israel recycles 70% of its water and the next best country is Spain at 25%. Something for the whole world to learn.

As I explored the walk and the street art (including in Florentin), the thing that struck me the most were the colors - the ocean, the street, the bright art. Not a moment of dullness when you explore this place.

I also explored the local food markets and they were not only amazing to taste but full of colors.

The Carmel Market, a local market which has great fresh produce was bright and bustling one day, but next day was empty and I realised what Sabbath does in Israel. Friday evening (Sun down) to Saturday evening (Sun down), everything shuts (well in Tel Aviv a few things were open, in Jerusalem I could only find a McDonald's open). But it also give the best time to explore the city's empty streets if you into that.

I also managed to try Jachnun, a bread eaten mostly for Sabbath breakfast which is slow cooked for 24 hours on low temperature. It is a traditional Yemeni
Old Jaffa Old Jaffa Old Jaffa

Street Art of Old Jaffa and Florentin
dish and is super tasty.

Beaches in Tel Aviv are family friendly and always have a group of people playing some sport or the other. But great place for a dip and lovely sunsets.

To me, Tel Aviv, was a mix of the old and the new, the bygones and the emerging (new tech companies thrive here). But the most interesting part was how people went about enjoying their lives (Friday day time parties in the market was the most fun to watch).




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Carmel Market Carmel Market
Carmel Market

Colors of Food, Carmel Market
Colors of Food Colors of Food
Colors of Food

Colors of Food, Carmel Market
Colors of Food Colors of Food
Colors of Food

Colors of Food, Carmel Market
SunsetSunset
Sunset

Sunset at Tel Aviv


Tot: 0.189s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 15; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0825s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb