Jerusalem: Day 6 to 12


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » Jerusalem District » Jerusalem
June 13th 2023
Published: June 27th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Dome Of The RockDome Of The RockDome Of The Rock

Temple Mount
Jerusalem, an hour by train from Tel Aviv, is not only the holiest cities in Israel but the city with the most complex history.

I spent a good amount of time in the Old City. This 1 Square Kilometre space, with three religions intertwined and intense political history is a fascinating place of faith and human beliefs.

It is difficult to explain the magic of the Old City, you got to be here to experience it.

Broadly, the Old City has four quarters (Armenian, Jewish, Christian and Muslim). For those who wonder why Armenian, well they were the first country to convert to Christianity and managed to get a space in the Old City.

I prayed at the Western Wall (called Kotel locally, part of the Second Temple), went to the Church of Holy Sepulchre (where Jesus's crucifixion happened, where his tomb is) and saw the Dome of Rock and Al Aqsa Mosque from outside.

To me, the learning was human. It is that when man puts his mind to something, he can achieve anything. Good or bad. But human determination is a powerful thing.

One of the toughest experiences I had was visiting Yad
Church of Holy Sepulchre Church of Holy Sepulchre Church of Holy Sepulchre

Church of Holy Sepulchre, where Jesus was laid down after being brought down from the Cross
Vashem, the Holocaust Museum. It's difficult to see what the world and people went through in those times.

I also explored the city on Sabbath (practically empty streets, both in main city and Old City). Went and saw the YMCA Three Arches Hotel and loved it's architecture.

I spent a bunch of time in Mahane Yehuda Market, exploring the local food. Met a friend I had met in Central America and tasted Arais, a pita bread with meat roasted in what India calls a Tandoor which is all the rage in Israel now (and is yummy).

I explored the Judean Desert from Jerusalem and loved how they created deep Wells for storing rain water in the desert 1500 years back. Seeing Camels and Ibex in their natural surrounding was a lovely add on.

I also did day trip to Masada (an old Fortress where the Jewish held out against the Romans for a long time), Ein Gedi (a nature reserve with a small hike and lovely waterfalls) and the Dead Sea (lowest place on earth at 434 meters below sea level).

I was alarmed to hear that the Dead Sea water level is dropping nearly
Western Wall Western Wall Western Wall

Western Wall
3 meters a year, so it may not exist in another 100-150 years. I hope that doesn't happen and that human determination I talked about solves problems like this.

As one guide said, it's one city with multiple layers, you discover new things as you explore more.

Jerusalem was definitely one of the most intriguing places I have visited.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Jerusalem Old CityJerusalem Old City
Jerusalem Old City

Jerusalem Old City on Sabbath
Jerusalem Old City Jerusalem Old City
Jerusalem Old City

Jerusalem Old City on Sabbath
Jerusalem Old City Jerusalem Old City
Jerusalem Old City

Jerusalem City
YMCA Three Arches Hotel YMCA Three Arches Hotel
YMCA Three Arches Hotel

YMCA Three Arches Hotel
Jerusalem Jerusalem
Jerusalem

Ben Yehuda Market
Jerusalem on Sabbath Jerusalem on Sabbath
Jerusalem on Sabbath

Jerusalem on Sabbath
Judean Desert Judean Desert
Judean Desert

Bedouin Camel in the Judean Desert
Mar Saba Judean Desert Mar Saba Judean Desert
Mar Saba Judean Desert

Mar Saba Monastery in Judean Desert
Dead SeaDead Sea
Dead Sea

Dead Sea
Masada ViewMasada View
Masada View

View from Masada
MasadaMasada
Masada

The Fortress
Ein Gedi Ein Gedi
Ein Gedi

Waterfalls at Ein Gedi


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0578s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb