Getting started (finally) - Day 1 - Jerusalem and Bethlehem


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » Jerusalem District » Jerusalem
August 12th 2010
Published: August 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

It's been a long time coming...




After a 10 hour flight from San Francisco to Frankfurt, an 8 hour layover in Frankfurt, and a 3 1/2 hour flight from Frankfurt to Tel Aviv, I finally made it into the American Colony Hotel in Jerusalem at about 4:30 A.M. Sunday morning, Aug. 1.


Alas, no rest for the weary this day as it's officially Day 1 and time's a wastin'. The driver showed up right on time at 9 A.M. to pick me up for my first day of sight-seeing - the Old City of Jerusalem and Bethlehem.




Outside the main entrance to the Old City of Jerusalem. Jaffa Gate (Hebrew: שער יפו‎, Sha'ar Yafo; Arabic: باب الخليل‎, Bab el-Khalil, "Gate of the Friend"; also Arabic, Bab Mihrab Daud, "Gate of the Prayer Niche of David"; also David's Gate) is a stone portal in the historic walls of the Old City of Jerusalem. It is one of eight gates in Jerusalem's Old City walls.Jaffa Gate was inaugurated in 1538 as part of the rebuilding of the Old City walls by Suleiman the Magnificent.





The Church of the Holy Sepulchre, also called the Church of the Resurrection by Eastern Christians, is a Christian church within the walled Old City of Jerusalem. The site is venerated by many Christians as Golgotha, (the Hill of Calvary), where the New Testament says that Jesus was crucified, and is said to also contain the place where Jesus was buried (the sepulchre).




Various interior shots of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre


And inside the Holy Sepulchre...






Next up - More of the Old City...



Advertisement



12th August 2010

so beautiful
I hope you're having a wonderful time, babycakes.

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb