Mesopotamian Law


Advertisement
Iraq's flag
Middle East » Iraq » West
September 24th 2013
Published: September 24th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Mesopotamia is an ancient civilization who had the first set of written laws known as The Code of Hammurabi. Of all the many laws, one law I was shocked as soon as I have read was the law number one - "If one blames another, but cannot prove it, than he must be sentenced to death." This law demonstrates that most people in the society would have respected each other and most likely never lie for their lives were at risk. In addition, this demonstrates the Mesopotamia had a strict government in which everyone follows the laws as their lives are at risk. This also shows that citizens take the government really seriously. As at some point people must have been executed for acts upon this crime, many families were not expanded and most likely decreased or did not help with the expansion of the human beings. This also shows how Mesopotamia was really religious and obeyed their laws and economical structure.

Fortunately, this is not part of the American culture. If this law were to be enforced in the country, American's culture would drastically change. To begin with Americans would be intimidated to accuse a person of committing a crime in fear of their lives becoming terminated. The political aspect would also move more towards in favor towards the government, for the government would have more control to the people. Although America's social structure or economics will remain the same, America's interactions would most likely decrease the human's population and global warming for fewer lives would be living.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.259s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1236s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb