Day 21-23 Zanjan to Tehran to Esfahan


Advertisement
Iran's flag
Middle East » Iran » West » Esfahan
August 1st 2010
Published: August 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Sultanamet DomeSultanamet DomeSultanamet Dome

Archways around the top of the dome
Day 21 Zanjan to Tehran (Sat 24th July)

We left the hotel today at 0800 and our first stop was the Sultanamet dome, which is apparently the second largest of its type n the world. Its nearly 50m high and about 25m diameter, built in the 8th century. And of course, it was under restoration - which means scaffolding. Fortunately the scaffolding was only on the inside so it still looked very impressive. We were able to climb up to the top to get some lovely views of the surrounding area.

It was a fairly short travel day today, and we arrived in the capital of Iran at 1400. For those not too sure of their geography - that’s Tehran! It is HUGE!! The population is somewhere over 12 million people.

As we are staying in a 4 star hotel here, we were advised to make the most of it and just relax and recoup. Advice I am taking to heart!



Day 22 Tehran to Esfahan (Sun 25th July)

A leisurely start today - we weren’t leaving until 0900. So we went down for a nice breakfast at 0800, and I must say I
TehranTehranTehran

Freedom Tower
am really enjoying all the watermelon we have been getting since Istanbul. You just can’t get good watermelon in Scotland.

We made a quick stop at the history museum in Tehran which was very interesting. There is a lot of history in this part of the world, and a lot of different empires/dynasties passed through.

We also made a stop for the Irish to see “Bobby Sands Boulevard”. Ironically it is the street right next to the British embassy!! The British from the embassy apparently tore down the English version of the street name, so the only one left is attached to the embassy wall. Taking a picture was interesting because of course you can’t take a picture of an embassy. We had guards running up to tell LJ to delete the photo but somehow our guide managed to convince him that the group was Irish but not terrorists and no-one was arrested...

We made a photo stop at the freedom tower, which was quite a beautiful structure, before departing Tehran.

Early afternoon we made a stop at a “traditional house”. It was huge. I want one! Also very beautiful, however my camera battery decided to die right at that moment so I will have to steal someone else’s photos.

Driving into Esfahan, we watched the sun set at 2000 just before we arrived at our hotel. Settling in, we decided to go for a walk down to the “32 arch bridge” for tea. Everyone again was very friendly and some guys bought us tea and we all sat down to chat for about an hour. It was rather amusing for the girls, as one of the local guys seemed to be hitting on Stephen rather strongly. Heather, Lynn and I could barely restrain ourselves from laughing outright.

We then took a walk along the bridge and kept getting asked if people could take our photo. It was a really nice walk and everyone fell in love with Esfahan immediately.

Walking over the little canal ways we saw some guys shooting rats with air guns. Interesting way to spend a Sunday night, I guess.

Arriving back at the hotel around 2330, Jo (my room mate, who hadn’t come for the walk) was watching some movie in English on TV. She told me it was atrocious but she couldn’t stop watching it -
On the 32 Arch BridgeOn the 32 Arch BridgeOn the 32 Arch Bridge

Sean, Stephen, AJ, Jana, Heather, Norma, Ali
and I ended up watching it beside her all the way to the end at 0100. The whole time we were commenting on how bad a movie it was and that we were stupid for watching it - but we just couldn’t stop. I blame it on my complete lack of any TV over the past 2 years.



Day 23 Esfahan (Mon 26th July)

We had a nice spread for breakfast before meeting our guide at 0900 for our walk through Esfahan. We went through a lovely garden to what is apparently the largest square in the world. Here we spent a few hours visiting the buildings lining the square before shopping in the bazaar.

First was the Ali Qapu Palace, which is 6 stories high with some beautiful rooms. Of course we went all the way to the top and really started to feel the heat. We are pretty much all from the UK - where heat is a mythical concept! We are coping remarkably well, all things considered.

Second stop was a small mosque with beautiful dome. It is designed do that when you walk in you see a peacock on the
Esfahan 1Esfahan 1Esfahan 1

View from Ali Qapu Palace
top on the dome, but as soon as you step in away form the door, the golden tail of the peacock disappears. Its to do with the gold tiles and the shape of the roof and window. Very clever.

Next stop was the huge mosque at the end of the square. All the girls had to put on a chador before going in. Basically a sheet-like piece of material that goes over the head and falls to the ground, covering most of the body and held shut with the hands. It was interesting - but very hot.

We then made a stop at a carpet place where they told us about carpets and when they started talking about pricing and purchasing, LJ started talking in Irish. He was basically telling all the Irish people to tell their neighbours not to buy anything here, that we only came in to cool off, and that they could get much cheaper stuff elsewhere. It was really funny - and I guess there are benefits to having a mostly Irish group.

Tomorrow is a public holiday, celebrating the 12th Imam I think, so there were a lot of people out in
Esfahan 2Esfahan 2Esfahan 2

A prayer hall in the large mosque
the streets and everyone was giving away free snacks and drinks and in a generally celebratory mood. Esfahan has generally been the favourite city so far of the trip.






Advertisement



Tot: 0.36s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 20; qc: 73; dbt: 0.1026s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb