Cyprus


Advertisement
Cyprus' flag
Middle East » Cyprus » Paphos
January 19th 2009
Published: January 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Monday, 19th January, 2009.

The ship finally sailed at two o'clock in the morning.

Both of us slept a little. The crossing was smooth. We are that much further East and the dawn broke just before seven.

We finally arrived at Girne at nine am. The ferry is a ro-ro, but everythiing backed off the way it had come on, we were able to turn round of course.

We drove off and parked where we were told. Next came the paperwork

At the first place they gave us some paperwork. Told us to go to customs, but a lorry driver told us we actually needed passport police first. So, we changed queues and went to the Passport police.

Then to Customs, who gave us some forms and sent us into another building outside the port. We found who we needed and he signed some of the paperwork.

Then back to Customs, who sent us back to the first people. They filled in some forms. Then we were advised that we needed Turkish Northern Cyprus Car Insurance which was YTL150, we were out of YTL so asked if we could pay in Euro's and were charged €75.00. More paperwork was provided and then back to Customs.

They did their stuff and that was us. What a run around and not for the feint hearted.

We then slowly left the port, someone else checked our customs paperwork as we left, and then the security guard on the gate checked the passports.

This all took over an hour. But we were on the Island and another hurdle cleared.

The next thing to confuse us was that they drive and the left in Northern Cyprus, so we had to adjust quickly to UK driving again, as we drove out of the Port.

The driving style here is again atrocious.

We made our way to the Metehan border crossing as per some directions I had found on a website. Which were spot on.

At the Turkish side of the border, we filled in a little form, the car paperwork and passports were checked.

It didn't take too long.

Next a short way along was the Republic of Cyprus section, I showed the passports, which he saw were British, but didn't look at them properly. Asked if we had car insurance, I flashed our car insurance and told him we did, and we were waved on. It probably took no longer than thirty seconds.

We were into The Republic of Cyprus and had managed one hell of a journey.

We drove through Nicosia, and the driving style was manic again. We found the main road and headed off to Paphos. Mostly dual carraigeway.

We arrived in Paphos and followed signs to the Tourist Area and parked.

There was a lot of activity, people milling around and everything seems to be open.

We hadn't eaten much yesterday and we were ready for a wee break. So, we headed for the first restaurant we could see, Theo's and had a lovely lunch. Greek Salad, Port Fillet Madeira, and a mixed grill. Total €52.30.

We left and saw a row of Hotels hugging the coastline, so we went that way. Saw one we liked, The Alexander the Great Hotel, stopped and went in.

They were open, had rooms at €76.00, per night b&b. We checked in.

Bags up to the room and a well deserved and well needed bath.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.371s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 17; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1238s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb