Holocaust Memorial Day


Advertisement
Europe
January 27th 2017
Published: January 28th 2017
Edit Blog Post

#WeRemember#WeRemember#WeRemember

People from all over the world showed their support and listened to stories from survivors. The symbols represent the many groups that were targetted and murdered by the Nazis, including Jewish, Polish, and Roma peoples, communists and other political prisoners, convicts, the disabled and homosexuals.
Today is another sombre affair, we remember the holocaust.

Beyond remembering what happened, how it happened and why, International Holocaust Rememberance Day is remembered in the hope that it will never be repeated. Over the course of the day I have been exploring how people in the age of technology have been rmembering the tragedy. Some campaigns were simple; show solidarity. Everybody shares the same phrase on social media and share personal stories, interviews with survivors and facts. One campaign that I found particularly touching was @stl_manifest on twitter. it is a simple thread of almost identical tweets About the refugees on the St Loui, a ship that took a thousand Jewish people across the Atlantic who hoped to settle in America. They were turned back, and almost all that returned to mainland Europe were murdered during the course of the war.

The tweets read as follows : My name is Guenther Rotholz. The US turned me away at the border in 1939. I was murdered in Auschwitz.

Some have pictures, most don't.

I have had the opportunity to visit two concentration/death camps, Majdanek and Dachau. Dachau has an extensive museum that catalogues the horrors, Majdanek had a guide who talked us through every part of the processes. Both had monuments to memorialise the dead, lest we forget, tragic, haunting and beautiful. Dachau has a statue of barbed wire, and Majdanek a large pit covered with a dome that houses the ash and bone that were found.

It's something that needs to be kept at the forefront of our collective conscience, because it wasn't the last attempt at a complete genocide, there have been many more all around the world since the then, but it is probably the best documented and the most well-known. It should be remembered so that when we see it starting again we can do something about it.



Tomorow - Chinese New Year.



Due to some Internet issues, the next week or so may be uploaded on the wrong day. I will be tweeting daily, but cannot write longer bits on my phone. I will do my best to upload with a day of the event.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

DachauDachau
Dachau

1933-1945


Tot: 0.654s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0759s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb