Copenhagen


Advertisement
Europe
September 12th 2006
Published: October 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After an all night train from Cologne we spent the day touring Copenhagen.
Trivoli Gardens - Basically it is a big carnival but permanent. It was established in 1843. It has the world’s tallest carousel at 80 meters tall. We were there in the afternoon midweek which to us was not all that exciting but from what we understand the weekends and special events are great.
Rosenborg Slot or The Royal Palace - This is where the Danish Crown Jewels are kept. I found it interesting that the same family is still ruling Denmark. The prince just married an Australian commoner a few years back.
Frederiks church - It was just a church we passed on our walk to the Little Mermaid Statue. It was beautiful so we stopped and looked inside.
Amalienborg or Palace of Christian VIII - This is where the current Queen lives during the winter. It is a huge plaza surrounded by the four building of the palace. My thought is what a great place to have a home….lots of parking for guests. The also have the guards standing to attention similar to what you always attribute to England’s changing of the guard.
Little Mermaid Statue- It is as the name describes a mermaid sculpture on a rock by the sea. Scott pointed out that we could have just driven 2 hours north to Vancouver’s Stanley Park to see the same statue. My response was but this is the original.

We could not get a room since it seems that a confernece was here also, so we decided to head west for the night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

80 meter carousel - Trivoli80 meter carousel - Trivoli
80 meter carousel - Trivoli

This is the world's tallest carousel. No we did not ride it.


Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0173s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb