Kvaerndrup – Egeskov Slot


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Syddanmark » Kværndrup
September 13th 2006
Published: October 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Kvaerndrup by train from Nyborg, via Odense. We had stayed in Nyborg due to Odense not having any available rooms. Nyborg is a sea side village that seemed quaint. Upon arrival to the train station, more of just a platform, the only information was a map of direction to the castle. We took a picture just in case we needed to reference it and started on our walk. It was only 2.5 km.

The existing castle was built in 1554 during a time that peasants were attacking large manors, so it was built to be impenetrable with a moat, guardhouse, ramparts and firing slits. In 1883 it was remodeled to raise the towers to what we saw today. The Count and his recent ancestors were collectors. They have made the old barns into museums for old cars, motorcycles, dolls, a few planes, old buggies, and old tools from 1800’s and early 1900’s. The upstairs loft in the castle is old toys mostly from the 1940 and 50’s, while the downstairs had a couple of hunting rooms that contained numerous big game mounted heads.
The castle is also famous for its 4 mazes, one of them originally made of bamboo. The grounds are huge, I am not sure if it would be a gardeners dream or one’s nightmare.

After we finished our self tour of Egeskov Slot , we meandered back to town to catch the train to Helsinger via Copenhagen.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.332s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 31; qc: 143; dbt: 0.1402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb