Mercados - Canadian entrepreneurs take note


Advertisement
Europe
February 15th 2015
Published: February 25th 2015
Edit Blog Post

There is growing food trend taking place in Europe that I would love to see cross the Atlantic to Toronto. Mercados. They are popping up in major cities across Europe. The closest the parallel that comes to mind would be mall food courts in North America. They both have multiple food outlets and a common area to sit and enjoy the meal(s) you have purchased. There the parallel ends.

In North America food courts are usually buried in the bowels of malls or in the basement under urban office towers. They offer fast food and cheap eats. The decor is usually drab and uninspiring, the seating designed for clean-up not for comfort. Don't get me wrong I have had some good ethnic eats in food courts from time to time, but the surroundings often take much of the pleasure out of eating it.

In Europe, Mercados are often in renovated spaces (in Lisbon is in a former warehouse near the Tagus river, whereas in Porto the Mercado occupies the ground floor of a modern building that formerly housed a major food store in a spacious atrium space) or built for purpose (in Madrid it is a beautiful glass building near the Plaza Mayor). They have comfortable seating looking out to people watch (Madrid) or be watched from above (Porto) or sit with your friends and enjoy a great meal. There are a number of small food purveyors almost all representing local restaurants. Throw into that mix, wine bars, cocktails bars, draft beer outlets, small art galleries, wine shops and circulating push carts loaded with treats. Sometimes there is live music. The food runs the gamut: shucked oysters, sushi, pulled pork sandwiches, an infinite number of tapas, paella, cheese plates, assorted olives, pizza, seafood, BBQ, etc. etc. etc. You grab a glass of wine/beer/cocktail (or bottle if you wish) and stroll around to see what appeals to you. You can have all your courses from different establishments if you choose. Sushi for an appetizer, sliders and then paella for a main and a Pastel de Nata for a sweet. Or thousand of other combinations. No problem. All prepared by chefs that are serious about the what they cook.

All 3 Mercados I had the pleasure of visiting were great and yummy experiences. I will share those dining experiences with you, my dear readers, in upcoming blog entries.

Stay tuned.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.529s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1526s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb