Relgion and Education


Advertisement
Europe
July 15th 2014
Published: July 16th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Note: Late post because, as predicted, internet was not so great at the Mostar hotel.



Well, today was somewhat different. Probably because we were in a new town, but that's just a thought.



We started at 9:30 with a tour of the city for about two hours. And by "of the city," I mean "of the major religious buildings." Namely, the Franciscan Monastery, the Serbian Orthodox Church, the Serbian Orthodox Temple, and the original Serbian Orthodox Church and School. There are a lot of mosques, but they apparently didn't warrant mention.

A lunch and a nap later, we headed out to Nansen Dialogue, an NGO that operates throughout the Balkan Region to promote dialogues to solve problems between the ethnicities. Much of our conversation was about education in Bosnia: namely that every ethnic group has its own school system, so kids mainly learn the history and language according to that ethnic group, which, unfortunately, means that education is not universally homogenous. The question was about reformation: how and when, and how to further promote the necessary aids.

After NDC, we came back and I went for a run through the city to explore more: there's really not a lot. Sarajevo was about 400,000 people. Mostar barely breaks 100,000. Regardless, it was a pretty run along the river. We went to dinner and then hung out by the river for a while, watching the sun go down and the bridge light up. When we came back, we hung out as a big group, talking and bonding some more. A small group of us broke off for a short bit to go to a club called "The Cave," aptly named because it's literally in a cave in the rock and you have to walk through rock tunnels to get there. Given that it was a Tuesday night, it was predictably empty; we went more for the novelty than for the quality. We went to bed somewhat early because tomorrow we get up for a 9:30 bus ride again! Banja Luka, here we come!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.277s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0673s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb