Day 6: Inverornan to kinlochleven


Advertisement
Europe
July 3rd 2014
Published: July 3rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Today started with a siren... Well Jenny's alarm...at 6am. It was so loud and Unlike anything heard before that Kirsty, Alan and even jenny sat bolt upright at the same time and asked what it was. It seemed like an age before jenny managed to get it to stop. Yvette meanwhile was still asleep with her earplugs firmly in.

After an ok breakfast, we left faulty towers and were on our way, this time for the longest walk of the the trip. Barely 10 minutes had gone before the ladies were requiring toilet stops. No dignity now, no looking for bushes or rocks to go behind... The drop the pants and pee method had been introduced...by jenny it should be noted. We met our friends from the previous night and they commented on how they like the joke that we played on them. They also informed us that they were determined to beat us to the final stop, Kinlochleven.

We crossed over the rannoch moor and here we really did feel alone. Nothing or nowhere around us for miles around. Just hills, grass and heather as far as one could see. We had a coffee stop as well as a few toilet breaks but for the most part it was heads down and get walking. Our pursuers were no where to be seen . We were obviously faster...either that or they hadn't left yet! Rain threatened and the wind blowed but nothing more than some heavy spits came our way.

We made it to the Kings Inn which sat on the edge of the imposing mountains of glencoe. The sun was breaking through and the massive mountains looked stunning. We had the obligatory beer and cider as well as a lovely lunch.one by one, our pursuers came in the door, they had caught us...but not for long!

It was at this point we had to say goodbye to Kirsty.we were sad to see her go and wished she could have continued with us. Our pursuers joked that they would catch us at the devils staircase. Not if we had anything to do with it. We set off while they still ate, hoping to get a good start on the final 9 miles of today's route. We moved further and further into glencoe. It looked stunning in the weak sunshine. Looking back constantly we ploughed on until we reached it, the devils staircase...we begin our ascent up steep, rocky, zigzag paths, tiring and panting for breath. Up and up until we looked and saw them, our pursuers! The view from the top was amazing...jagged towering mountains all around. We celebrated with a swig from the hip flask before moving on, this time we were on the descent. They were getting closer, but we ploughed on, closer, but we kept going. Kinlochleven was in sight and still they hadn't caught us. Then it happened, they were practically running and before we knew, they were side by side. We congratulated them and they passed us by, continuing on their ways. Stragglers again!

The descent was steep and strenuous on the leg muscles but we finally made it to our penultimate stop and straight into the pub. Our pursuers cheered when they saw us enter. They had only beaten us by around 10 mins. We sat with them enjoying a well earned drink before checking into out B and B. After a fab shower, it was dinner and drinks next door before turning in for the night. Another fantastic day at an end. The finish line is in sight! Visit tomorrow for our final blog entry.

SCROLL DOWN TO SEE PHOTOS


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



3rd July 2014

Amazing
Glencoe is one of my favourite places and it looks amazing in your photos. What a magical place! Keep up the fabby effort Team Happy Feet. Not long now..... The finish in Fort William will be MAGIC!!! Very proud of you all.....
4th July 2014

Well Done!
What a great achievement and you are almost there! Enjoying reading your blog from across the pond! Have a good rest when it is all over.
4th July 2014

With you all the way!
Well done to you all, it sounds and looks amazing. It has been fun and entertaining following your adventures - i am only a little bit jealous but feel i am with you in spirit as i too enjoy a cider of an evening- only missing out on the walking bit! :)
4th July 2014

team happy feet
looks amazing very proud of you all xx

Tot: 0.211s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb