April 27, 2014 - Travel back to Cuenca


Advertisement
Europe
May 3rd 2014
Published: May 3rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

We were very worried about how much luggage we had and were continually praying that we would be able to get all of them on the flight. A few days earlier Debi woke up with the thought that the flight we were scheduled on, the same size puddle jumper we came to TN on earlier, would not be able to handle everything we had. S, at the cost of $610 we changed our flight to a larger aircraft. Regretfully, it was leaving at 6 AM, so we had to be at the airport at 4 AM.

Well, we got to bed about 10 PM and got up at 2 AM on Sunday. John Barry (bless him) came over to Joe's to help us with our luggage. We loaded all the footlockers and three pieces of luggage into John's pickup and the rest in our rental.

When we arrived at the airport I went to the outside check-in to ask if we could check 15 pieces of luggage in there or if we had to take them inside. The gentleman siad he would take care of it for us. He got another man to help him, came over with two large cards and we loaded them on. I took the rental car back and Debi went with the luggage.

When I returned, she told me that she had told the sky cap that we were very diligent in weighing everything and we were sure they were all under 50 pounds. His only comment was "I'm not taking the time to weigh 15 pieces." Thank you Lord.

We started to go through the TSA check in and were told that we were pre-checked for security (never heard of that before). We were sent into a different line, although there was no one in front of us. I still had on my sneakers, sweatshirt, hat, watch and POW bracelet, but was told I was fine and to go through the scanner. No noise. We were clear. Awesome!!

We flew to Miami and then had an EIGHT hour lay-over. When we arrived in Guayaquil we went through immigration with no issues, then I set about finding all of our luggage. I found all 15 pieces intact, not a scratch on anything. We had four luggage carts. It was push one, pull another for both of us, although some of the carts did not want to co-operate.

As we approached Customs, a young lady came over to help us (we were the last ones to be going through at that time). As I was loading all of the luggage on the belt to go through the scanner I was asked to put two of the foot lockers on the table for examination. I put them up and Debi went to talk to them while I was taking the rest off the belt and re-loading them on the carts.

When they opened the first locker it was the one containing all of the prayer blankets. The two inspectors (rather young lady and gentleman) looked strangely at the contents. Debi showed them the little tag that had the name of the church and explained what they were for. The gentleman said"No problem, close it up." The next bag he asked if there was any thing electronic in it. Debi just pointed and said :just my husband's jig saw." He said "Okay, close it up." That was it. We had so many bottle of prescriptions and vitamins and minerals that we were taking back with us, that could have cost us quite a bit in duty charges, but they never saw them.

Thank you Lord for getting us through them.

Braulio was there to meet us, along with our van driver. We loaded all 15 pieces into the van and our carry-ons into Braulio's car. I went with the van and Debi went with Braulio. I beat them home by about 20-30 minutes. The van driver did not bother me as much as it would have bothered Debi.

Finally after over 24 hours without sleep we went to bed. After about six days we feel that we may have caught up on our sleep. Of course, we have been out to our Bible studies, had to go shopping for food, and a lot more hangers for what we brought back and yesterday went to the Feria Libre to assist in the children's ministry there (later posting).

By the way, after emptying all of our bags, we have almost three full footlockers of items to take to the children's ward and other places. Praise God!!!

No pictures for this posting.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.236s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb