April 25, 2014 - Lights Chapel Curch & Dinner with Joe and Dara


Advertisement
Published: May 3rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

This morning we went to Lights Chapel Baptist Church in Greenbrier to have breakfast with some of the women who make the prayer blankets.

Before we left in November, while having a number of garage/yard sales, a woman overheard Debi telling some people that we were moving to Ecuador to do the Lord's work. She came to Debi and introduced herself as Leslie and asked if we would like to take some prayer blankets with us. Of course, Debi said yes.So, Leslie brought out some blankets that she had in her car and gave them to her.

A few days later the pastor called and asked that we attend their service on Sunday so they could give us more blankets. We told them that was our last Sunday at our church and we had a going away party right after. So he asked if we could attend their 6 PM service, and we accepted. Light Chapel is a very small church in a very small community, but they had about 20-25 people there that evening. After the service we were asked to come forward and sit in the first pew. They brought out a couple more bags of blankets, everyone joined hands and prayed over the blankets and us.

As it turned out we gave three of them to friends of ours that were going through heart surgery and cancer surgery.

Leslie contacted us a couple of months ago and asked if there was an address that they could send more blankets to. We told her that we would be back in the States in April, so we set up this time to go see them.

By this time we had already bought and filled nine footlockers with stuff to take back to Cuenca, along with four other pieces of luggage. We had one more expandable bag that we set aside for last minute items. After having breakfast with these ladies, they showed us what they had for us. I looked at everything and told Debi we needed to buy another footlocker.

I forgot to mention earlier in our blogs that a friend from Northridge Church had contacted us earlier and asked if we could use some crocheted and knitted items to take for the children and family members at the children's ward of the cancer hospital here. We had already picked them up from her - three large black trash bags filled.

So we finally wound up with ten footlockers and five pieces of luggage to check, two carry-ons, my backpack and Debi's large bag.

Later that evening we had dinner with Joe and Dara as our last goodbye and to celebrate Dara's birthday.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.345s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0594s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb