Day 10 - Tour of Capri


Advertisement
Europe
July 17th 2006
Published: July 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

This morning in Capri, we crossed the blue sea to capri via a passenger ferry. This legendary island, surrounded by rose tinted rocks, has some amazing coves of translucent Blues & Greens.

The town with its panoramic views, pretty piazzas, maze of steep small streets, fashion boutiques and cafe's is a mecca for the Rich and Famous.
Whilst there we viewed many yachts of Famous Italian soccer players & a very large luxury cruiser named 'Rising Sun' belonging to a Sheik complete with Helipad, additional docs with Jetski's and a speed boat.

When we arrived in town, we were shown around town by a local guide.
Originally from Belgium, she moved to live and study in Rome, however on a trip to Sorrento, met her now husband, (An Italian Stallion) and never left the area. Today she runs local tours to Capri from Sorrento and has an amazing knowlege of the area.

The introduction to Capri was with a chairlift up to the mountain top (Single Seat). After the traumatic (yet victorious) ride up Mount Titlus in Switzerland, Rach opted to take comfort with another fellow Aussie girl, and stayed in the shopping village, for a couple of scoops of Gelati!, However I took the ride crossing the roof tops of many houses and farms travelling to the 600m summit. An amazing view of the coastal regions, and provided a perspective of the distance from Capri to Sorrento. Capri is split into two parts, Capri (Base village) & Anacapri (Upper Village). .

Down off the peak, we visited the estate of Alex Munch. (A Doctor, Vet, Surgeon, Author, Philosopher, Surveyor & Archiect) who visited the Island at the age of 17, and documented to a friend via letter that he would one day return, and build a home with amazing views and from his own designs. At the age of 23, he returned, a qualified Doctor and built the estate.

Through his works in the village as a doctor during the day & treating the poor with medical assistance (at no charge) during the night, he became highly regarded within the community.
He also wrote a book title "Return to Capri" about his life, and building the Estate. This book was printed in over 50 languages, and put Capri on the Tourist Map.

Before his death, his estate was left to the swiss govt (as he was from a wealthy, swiss family). Today his house and gardens are open to the public, and will be something worth while reading into when back in Australia.

The Blue Grotto is a feature on the island, however due to rising water levels, we were not able to travel into the cave via boat.

Back in Capri we completed the tour with some shopping, and stocked up on the local speciality, "Lemoncello". A sweet drink (Not Sour) made from Lemon, Sugar, Water & 95% alcohol which you drink in a shot glass and is very refreshing.
We then chilled out on the rocky beaches, cooled down by having a dip in the beach amongst the many Italian Men complete with "Bling Bling" & thousands of bikini clad tourists to enjoy the 30" Heat wave of Capri.
One thing we are not envious of is the stones olong the shores of the beaches. Nothing like laying your towel down for a nice relaxing sun bake on the comfortable rocks! We really are lucky to have the lovely sand on our beaches in Aus.
We finished our day on capri at 1630 and returned to the mainland again via the ferry. It was lovely to have an early return to the hotel to enjoy a nice drink on our balcony and a dip in the hotel pool! Once again a really hard day!

We look forward to hearing from you all, and what you have been upto!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.254s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb