Day 9: Rome - Pompeii - Neapolitan Riviera


Advertisement
Europe
July 16th 2006
Published: July 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We had an enjoyable evening last night dining at a restaurant up on a hill with huge big windows looking out at an amazing view of rome. We dined with our fellow aussie's and a token American from our tour (about 15 of us in total) After many laughs, a delicious meal which did not include pizza, pasta or gelati (we are so sick of eating italian food!) and a few too many drinks afterwards (sampling the local beers, wines & home-made Grappa), we bedded down for a comfortable night in our new room. We were both really tired after being awake until 1am the previous night trying to sort out the issues with our bathroom - we have never seen anything like it in our life.

We stumbled out of bed again at an early hour and boarded our sore heads on the Tuna Can (Coach) headed for Pompeii. The drive from Rome to Pompeii was a short one totalling 2 hours and heading south we were able to view the volcano Vesuvius in the distance.

On arrival in Pompeii we dined at a local hotel restaurant again eating salad, pasta and gelati (Just for something different) and strolled around the street markets, whilst waiting to meet our local tour guide for our tour.

We were introduced to our local guide 'Antonio' who was extremely enthusiastic. (he also resembled the Singer / Songwriter Leo Sayer, which was very amusing) Despite the heat, he was very informative in showing us around the city. In 79AD, time stopped in the city of Pompeii, when the Volcano Vesuvius erupted, totally destroying all means of life in the town. Amongst the ruins we viewed where what was once luxurious villas, religious temples, a theatre, a forum and plenty of old brothels. The town of Pompeii was serviced by slaves of rich business men, and it was not uncommon for a man to have a wife, and a slave who looked after the family home, by cooking, cleaning and servicing his sexual desires.

With the town covered in Lava, the town was part excavated by those that remained, however they lived short lives and passed away from the fumes and lava gasses coming up from the ground.
The remains also included the bodies of both humans and animals covered in lava. Whilst walking around the ruins we were amazed at the number of stray dogs taking shelter from the heat in the buildings. It appears to be a bit of a problem in italy with many strays walking the streets.

After a nice granita drink made with fresh oranges and lemons, we again boarded the coach and headed south again for an hours drive to Sorrento. This stunning coastal town (much prettier and more flash than our own Sorrento) complete with its beach villas, crystal clear beaches, huge cliffs rising up from the shores, amazing shops and restaurants was the highlight of our experience in Italy thus far. Unlike other areas in italy, the neapolitan riviera is clean (no overflowing bins and rubbish lying around as seen particularly in Venice and Rome.) Driving around the winding roads on the cliffs of the area was picturesque. This would have to be the most beutiful scenery you could ever hope to see.

Our hotel was located up on a hill and our room had french doors leading out to a balcony where we could view the sea as far as the horizon and surrounding scenery.

We had an optional dinner at night in Sorrento town with the Tour Folk. The atmosphere was amazing eating dinner in an alfresco restaurant, whilst there was a street festival going on around us. With an Italian playing Banjo solo for our dinner group, plus brass marching bands and street performers marching around the street past our restaurant, this provided the perfect backdrop for our perfect Italian experience!.
We completed our day with a bit of twilight shopping and a stroll down to the waters edge in sorrento.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.245s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb