The Ialian Job


Advertisement
Europe
August 30th 2011
Published: September 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Dreadful nights sleep as awake at dark o clock something like 3.30 with things about the trip racing through my mind. Tried very hard to switch off and probably did just before the alarm went off at 6. CUp of tea and packed up on the bike by 6.40 and at the ferry terminal 5 very quick mins later. Got pulled by customs who made us drive into the check area where we asked if we had any knife or guns to which we of course replied. NO. Then off to quick check in and row188 and to the front of the queue. Cars were all stopped as we went straight on front of everyone and even better we were at the front by the unloading doors and for the first time facing the right direction. Unpacked and fastened down the bike then upstairs to food court for breakfast. Went for the cooked option weather 7of 4 items. Did one of each but reckon the 7.49 and 7 option was too much. left on time at 7.20 as we munched our way through all the sausages and bacon and beans and hash browns and scrambled egg and tomatoes and toast. Oh and a small cup of tea. Stuffed by the time it nearly all went down. Soon www were docking and back down to level 5 and unlocking bike as well as some block who could not unstrap his bike. 10 am were out and on the road. No customs check at either end apart from the gun questions then into Calais and straight on main road. It was so easy...too easy as I shave planned in a no toll road route to Troyes but within 5 mins we were on the blessed toll road. Pulled off 10 miles later to come up to a pay booth. looked at map and reset the sat nav and it all said stay on motorway..
Now the idea of biking is to wander around the countryside and see all there is to see not spend hours going in a straight line at a fixed speed apart for the £30 it was going to cost to
get to Troyes on the toll road. So pulled up to the booth but no one about and situated around wandering what to do until some French bloke came over in his car and was asking us loads of questions. The summary being that if we followed hike through he would hold the barrios up so we could get through. bargain I thought apart from wondering hoe we would explain at the other end why we did not have a ticket. anyway we were through and in effect back onto the motorway we had just come off.
One decision we had made was to go to Reims to have a look around so as it was. 135 miles to the town we stayed on the motorway. This was fortunate as a few miles later we came to a Paige where we had to grab a ticket. Chaps in the next bay where a group of Brit motorbikes were wondering what to do and how to work it all out. 90 mins later pulled in for a walking break to stretch our legs. One of the many good things about riding bikes is that when you stop someone nearly always comes across to talk which some folks did,, so we chatted about life and universe for a while, stretched our legs said hello to a couple of other bikers we had passed on the motorway then got back on the road for the 30 odd miles left to Reims.
Came to end of toll road and managed to work out the paying by card channel, put in the ticket and 20.80 euros were spent. Forgot how far we had come but traveled 80 mph most of the way. No hold ups only a couple os sets of very minor road works. All worked well for the money. Headed into rEims looking for petrol as on the last bar. Thought it would be cheaper in town off the motorway but it was not being €1.53 litre, so more expensive than Stroud. Rode into town and spotted signs for cathedral and managed to park the bike almost on the steps by some flower bins. Nice and it was getting very hot so. Had to leave most of clothing behind locked to the bike. Into the vast cathedral with it's glorious blue stained glass windows and lots of Joan of arc references. Apparently this was her local. Wandered around a bit to find a tea hose where €8 went on 2 coffees and a small cookie. Nice seats to rest a while. Though. Could have nodded of but headed back to the bike.
70 miles to hotel de la Gare inn Troyes and something like 2.30 when we left. Definitely got the non motorway route correct this time and went on the small D roads. Some traffic but the bike soon dealt with all that. Long long straights and very little traffic in places.
We were right in the heart of champagne country with loads and loads of vineyard house signs all by the roadsides. 2 we had heard of we're Lanson and . The vines were all clipped to the same height and were slowly being hand picked by the gangs of wakes you could see in the fields.. probably 10 to 20 in each spot. As we rode along trucks were flashing their lights at us and eventually found the reason some miles ahead where a group of police were all gathered in a huddle off to do on illegal immigrant checking I Guess.
Great roads ad scenery and at long last some proper biking roads and speeds.
Followed sat nav directions straight to the hotel where Kay got the receptionist to let us in the back gravel drive and paved courtyard area to pro the bike. Brilliant. Check in room 208.
5 pm and all settled in, showered and ready to wander by 6.
How can you describe Troyes other than to say it's probably one of the best places we have been to. Very old buildings like very old, cracking, bent and all very close together. Wooden houses painted all different colours just brilliant. Wandered around trying to take all this in before the sausages had finally disappeared and hunger was setting in. Found a very nice restaurant so sat outside and ploughed our way through the English translated menu. Settled for menu of the day, glass of house wine with free wonderful French bread and popcorn for some reason was placed on the table. nice though. Hake and Salted pork were the main dishes. No idea why we cannot cook pork in the same way but it was so tender and tasty. Apple tart along with from age blanc and creme fraud he to follow. No room for coffee. €32.80 was the damage. Not bad as average price for one meal in the mian square runs about €15-20.
Wandered around for another hour at the various buildings and cathedral some where in there before a wander back to hotel by 9 or there snouts. Sat reading and doing notes on ipad but struggled a great deal to get it all to work.
Lost it all and had to fettle. Not happy. off to bed as Kay fast asleep and need to get away early as another 300 mile day tomorrow

Advertisement



Tot: 0.251s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb