The Italian Job


Advertisement
Europe
August 30th 2011
Published: September 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

just a quick summary of the Yorkshire trip. Set off to drive 240 miles on a bank holiday Friday. Not the smartest decision especially looking at the AA road watch map all afternoon showed the whole country on slow down or accidents. decided to leave after tea which we did hitting the road at 7.30pm. all I can say is that the First part of the M5 was slow and the M42, but after that we positively purred along. Even managed to zip past the 3 snails on the Brid road with ease. arrived 11 pm.
However as we were last to arrive we lost the bed to my sister and fella Dave. We therefore had to settle for their new fancy camp beds. Sometime late they were assembled and into the sleeping bags we slipped. dash in comfy and cold night an not much sleep. Awake early as well. cooked breakfast appeared, was eaten and off we went along the moor drive to Whitby. Drove past Dolby Forest-good trip if you are in the area and a bargin at £8. On the A179 over the moors to see the absolutely gorgeous Heather in full purple bloom. Magnificent and sent text to Mike and Chris who are in Scarborough sept6th for Chris 65th birthday to let them know how good it all was.
Parked on West cliff car park in Whitby. £3 for 4 hours and had to be back and away just before 5pm. Wondered down a pile of steps that mother struggled with but managed nevertheless and not bad for an almost 85 year old. Whitby is a great litle town, lots of bank holiday folks, fantastic smelling fish and chip shops as wel as the usual bits of rubbish oh and the harbour, boats and RNLI open tours and trips out to see sort of thing. very pleasant and only bits of rain but cold wind so Dave not happy in T shirt and shorts, but it was sunny when we set off. In to old tone eventually after numbeous stops into numerous shops for numerous looks around. The cone of chips for £1 went down a treat.
Back to the car via and ice cream stall and all back to Brid for a fine Yorkshire pudding tea. Camp beds did not get any comfier the second night.
Up somewhere aroung 9am rot chainsaw 2 feet of the top of the beech hedge and unblock the garage gutter down pipe. Breakfast and tidying up before the walk to Raffles for a 2.30 lunch. Starters and mixed meats and carafe of red and we all seemed stuffed. Birthday cake, candles and the whole restaurant joining in the singing for mothers 85th birthday bash. Nice one. slow walk back and watched grand prix and various folks did various bits of snoozing. Chatty night, match of the day then bed. Up at 7.30 for quick breakfast to hit the road just before 9. Not much traffic and home 12.30 or so. Sardine sandwich, which tasted very strange. Kay planted the fuchsia and I went to feed the fish and chickens.
Left for Premier Inn at Dover arriving at the wrong Premier Inn in Dover about 7 then found the right premier inn as there are 3 in Dover. booked table in beefeater for 8.15. Tough old steak and chicken with nice glass of Malbec then off to room for early night.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.228s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0565s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb