El Born Field trip


Advertisement
Europe
March 23rd 2011
Published: May 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

For our field trip we walked through the El Born District. That is one of, if not my favorite area of Barcelona. The small streets and the architecture just really represents Spain to me and has this kind of magical appeal to me. On our field trip we learned about the guilds which I really liked because it was nice putting history behind what I was seeing, giving context to everything.

We learned that the guilds thought of themselves as family organizations. Guilds oversaw the relations between apprentice and master, stipulating what clothing and food and religious training the boy should get. Before an apprentice could open up his own shop he had to pass a strict exam. The Guilds interest did not stop at the threshold of membership, it help strict control over quality of materials and work of each member, sending noisy inspectors know as veedors to make sure that there were no substitutions or short cuts.

From our field trip I learned that the entire district of El Born was shaped by the Guilds and the historical essence of the streets of the gothic quarter is filled with the memory of the guilds.


Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement



Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 21; dbt: 0.018s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb