Spanish Cuisine


Advertisement
Europe
January 14th 2011
Published: January 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

What is the first thing that comes to mind when someone mentions the country Spain? Flamenco dancing, Sangr ia, Mojito, or nude beaches… well wake up and smell the coffee because Spain has a lot more than that. Spain might as well be the new food capital of Europe and of the world along with New York, Mexico City, Tokyo, and Paris. In Madrid revolutionary chefs are rapidly sprouting. From potatoes in Cotton Candy form, to eating on dry ice, and even chocolate eggs that are half a human size. Although obviously originated in Spain, many chefs are taking their revolutionary ideas to Miami and my hometown Bethesda, Maryland. Besides this new food as an “Art” trend, original food in Spain is in my opinion the best in Europe, I have been to almost every country in Europe, and no country with the exception of Hungary comes close to having food as good as Spain, even rivaling Italy. Tapas, Jamon Iberico, Creadillas, Bull meat, and my all-time favorite Paella are only a few dishes that Spain has to offer. For those who are not aware of what these dishes are, Paella is somewhat like risotto with Saffron to flavor and give color to the rice, and comes in three different types, Seafood, prawns, scallops, and clams, Vegetable, and Chicken, it originates in Valencia, Jamon Iberico, is kind of like salami, Creadillas put simply is Bull testicles, taste like chicken, and bull meat is the total opposite of tender meat, tapas are little plates of different kinds of food, although very small you order a lot, consisting of shrimp, octopus, potatoes, jamon iberico. Although Italian, Gelato has made a great impression on the Spanish by not just eating it with any ordinary waffle cone, but on top of waffles and by no means Eggo. Gofres, or Waffles are made right in front of you in a waffle iron, once done, you have thousands of options, chocolate, nuts, strawberry, whipped cream, and above all Gelato, with flavors ranging from, Coffee, Pistachio, cookies, blackberry, mango, coconut, and my ultimate favorite, raisin go on top of this waffle as it literally melts in your mouth, although it is quite impossible to eat with a tiny spoon. One of my favorite parts of Barcelona is the St. Joseph Market. This market is not only the biggest in the country, but it is absolutely incredible. Regarding food you can find everything and anything you want, they have octopus, squid as big as your arm, flounder, barnacle, all kinds of fish, whole pigs, all kinds of ham, meats, veggies, tons of different kinds of candy, fresh fruit, fresh fruit juice, olives, olive oil, spices, and best part, you can buy what ever you want and there is a restaurant that will prepare any thing for you.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.332s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb