St. Jean Pied du Port To Orisson + History


Advertisement
Europe
May 21st 2009
Published: May 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

After many plan changes of our trip to Spain a final decision has been made to begin our Camino from the original starting point from St. Jean Pied du Port in France.
Tired of not walking and eating ! Gained several kgs. and Rons pack has gained 4 kgs since Madrid! Not sure what has entered.
He has however discovered Churros and Chocolate or Chocolaidy.
He has learned to say Hola, gracias and caffee solo in Irish tounge
Trips from OZ to China to Finland to Madrid to Valencia to Pamplona to France have all been long and hopefully worth it.
We have been very lucky to get a room and tent . Looking forward to starting the treck UP, UP for 20km before reaching Spain again.
No access to download photos. will do next time.
Wonderful weather, excellent FOOD, Family reunions, great scenery and very friendly locals everwhere. Loots of laughter and no sore feet or blisters yet.
WE START TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So why walk the pilgrim trail to Santiago????? Why St Jean Pied de Port???

What is a pilgrimage??? It all means something different to everyone.

It used to be that a pilgrimage was
P1000237 Pamplona -  P1000237 Pamplona -  P1000237 Pamplona -

P1000237 Pamplona - Old street, where our hostal was situated.
destined to save our soul and pardon our sins.
As far away as the town known as Ostabet - the routes coincide into a single trail that leads to Sain Jean-le-Vieux and Sain Jean-Pied-de-Port also known as 'key of the ports de Cize'. These are the last trails before reaching the much feared pyrenees crossing into Roncesvalles in Spain.

The entrance to SJPDP throug the Door of Santiago (Porte St Jaques) is the pilgrims entrance.
In the 12th century, at the peak of perigrination, thousands of pilgrims heading towards the basque country. They came from routes Vezeley, Le Puy and further afield. The followed the european route, the 'routes of God'. The went to worship the sepulcra or cript of the saint of the Apostol Santiago which were held in the confines of Galicia north west of Spain.

It so happens that in ancient times during the 11th century, pilgrims who passed through the doors or Port St. Jacques in St Jean, were all accomodated by the locals in the main street 'Rue de Citadelle'. The poor and ill pilgrims were accomodated in the Refugio at the end of the street which was afiliated with the church of
P1000241 Pamplona,  P1000241 Pamplona,  P1000241 Pamplona,

Pamplona - Main plaza views after a late summer storm.
the town - Notre Dame du Bout-du-Pont, they attended to the 'body and soul'.

The tradition of the hospitaleria and assistence that was practiced by the church in these medevil times was well manifested throughout the 'camino' de Santiago de Compostela. Hospitals were multiplied founded by the religious order and also by the communities known through out the basque country.









Additional photos below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

P1000247P1000247
P1000247

Pamplona - Paseo Ernist Hemingway near the famous Bull Ring. Where the famous running of the bulls during July the 'Endierro' celebrations. The bulls run through this very street. Lucky they are not running yet!!!
P1000263 Pamplona - Outside of church of Santo Domingo or St. James.P1000263 Pamplona - Outside of church of Santo Domingo or St. James.
P1000263 Pamplona - Outside of church of Santo Domingo or St. James.

Pamplona - Outside of church of Santo Domingo or St. James. Is one of the main enclaves on the 'Pilgrim's' Way to compostela as it passes through Pamplona. Its origins go back to a small chapel in honour of St. James where pilgrims were attended to. The Chapel was donated to the monks of the Dominican order, who continued their work from the monastery also known as Monasterio de Santo Domingo. Build in the 16th Century, although some of the front baroque facade dates to the 13th Century. I like the beautiful shells on the doors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
P1000286 Pamplona -  Locals demonstrating through the streets.  Fighting the government for more jobs.P1000286 Pamplona -  Locals demonstrating through the streets.  Fighting the government for more jobs.
P1000286 Pamplona - Locals demonstrating through the streets. Fighting the government for more jobs.

In the late afternoon I joined the procession. Chatting to a family and finding out they were all wanting more jobs and better assisstance in this poor economic global recession.
P1000300 Pamplona -  Locals demonstrating through the streets.  Fighting the government for more jobs.P1000300 Pamplona -  Locals demonstrating through the streets.  Fighting the government for more jobs.
P1000300 Pamplona - Locals demonstrating through the streets. Fighting the government for more jobs.

They grew to the thousands by late afternoon, shouting, chanting, throwing papers through the streets, placing stickers all over the place.
P1000293P1000293
P1000293

Pamplona - Fuentes de Recoletas, is one of the designs of a series of water fountains by the modern painter of the era Luis Paret (1747-1799). It is based on a piramidal base or obilisc design and was contructed at the end of the 18th Century.
P1000316 Pamplona -  P1000316 Pamplona -
P1000316 Pamplona -

P1000316 Pamplona - 'Puerta de Socorro' bridge over the gardens that once were used to hold water.
P1000324  Pamplon - Citade, Puerta de Socorro.P1000324  Pamplon - Citade, Puerta de Socorro.
P1000324 Pamplon - Citade, Puerta de Socorro.

P1000324 Pamplon - Citade, Puerta de Socorro. This door used to be a draw bridge.
P1000326   P1000326
P1000326

Pamplona - Citadel, Overlooking 'Puerta de Socorro' entrance and below the greens than used to be full of water.
P1000337 P1000337
P1000337

SJPDP, All pilgrims arrive from other trails throughout France like Le Puy and Vezeley pass through this gate into St Jean Pied de Port.


Tot: 0.263s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb