Week 4


Advertisement
Europe
September 24th 2008
Published: September 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Things thusfar have again been busy. Sunday, Adam, Sean and I made the trip to Eastbourne (south coast of England) to hike 7 miles on the White Cliffs. They are cleaner in Eastbourne, vs. Dover where they are grey from the shipping pollution. It was an unbelievably beautiful day for us to be hiking through fields of sheep, with the coast and enormous drop-offs to one side, and farms on the other.

Monday we went to the National Gallery and Tate Britain for a class assignment, and Tuesday we went to the Regent's Park Mosque, a beautiful building. We had a friendly young guide named Omar who was great in getting us to ask the many questions we have about Islam. I think it was a great opportunity for students to learn something about a religion that is portrayed as violent in the media. Then, Mo and I headed to the Tower of London and saw the armory (swords/guns!), and sites where Anne Boleyn was beheaded, among many others.

Adam, Sean and I had the great turn of fate to read in the local newspaper that Jason Mraz (my favorite singer) was in town. We got last minute tix and saw an amazing show at the Royal Albert Hall (grand!). It was my 5th time seeing him, and the best for sure. He has really developed as an artist and had a brass trio and gospel choir! The crowd was very proper because of the venue, until he demanded that we stand up and enjoy the show! Thankfully, people wanted to do that all along and the energy in the room lit up, with classics like Build Me Up Buttercup and Don't Worry, Be Happy! So that basically made my trip.

The British Library was today, with original Shakespeare, Dante, Milton, Beatles works, a Magna Carta, and Gutenberg Bible among many others.

Parliament and a service at Westminster tomorrow, Stonehenge, Salisbury and Liverpool this weekend, which our last in London 😞 before we head to Berlin 😊 Finals next week for Sociology so lots of reading in my freetime over the next few days!

Found out I am now an uncle to Joey Palam too! Hooray!

Take care,

Peace, Love and Blessings to you all,

Ian


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



28th September 2008

Groupie
Very cool that you got to see Jason Mraz at that venue. It would be reasonable to imagine that you threw your panties on stage, yes?

Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0211s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb