Scotland, Ben Nevis


Advertisement
Europe
August 11th 2008
Published: August 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Photo 1Photo 1Photo 1

We are in Scotland!!
Hello all.
Dave and I just got back from Scotland.
We along with Ronan flew crappy Ryan Air over there and met their friend Clodagh in the airport. So we all hopped into a rental car and drove over to a town called Fort William. The scenery was unbelievable, huge mountains everywhere, tons of sheep, and beautiful water. The weather is a bit crappy, but we had out rain coats and didnt melt. Our first night there we saw some men competing in the Higland Games and tossing large logs, shot puts and throwing a weight over a pole...it was like a strongest man competition which i love. and there also was a bag pip band in the coolest attire and i was also pleased with their performance!
We stayed in a cute B&B for the night and prepared for the next day when we would climb Ben Nevis, the largest mtn in the British Isles. Dave and I did a few stretches in the room the night before knowing that this was going to be a grueling task!!
The next morning we had a small breakfast to say the least and headed over to the bottom of Ben Nevis. They
Photo 2Photo 2Photo 2

The B&B nearest to Ben Nevis
all strapped up their hiking boots, while i had my trusty sneakers! haha i am not the outdoorsy type...
The weather was fabulous and we started the 4,409 foot climb.
Clodagh and I had walking sticks which I think were a huge help. Dave and Ronan tackled the mtn like it was nothing, while us girls were struggling.
At one point, i sat down and said I cannot do this, and go without me...but Dave gave me a pep talk and I ventured on.
In the end and about 4 hours later all 4 of us made it up the mountain. At the top it got very cold, we put on some extra layers, took pics of us at the peak and had out packed lunch. As we were sitting there enjoying the view and food...I realized WE HAVE TO GO BACK DOWN. So once again, Dave and Ronan proceed to RUN down the mountain, while us girls again took our time...we got down in just over 2 hours.
That was the first time I have ever walked for that many straight hours!!! but it was well worth it.
We jumped back into the car and drove over to the
Photo 3Photo 3Photo 3

A man competing in the Highland Games
Isle of Skye, and met up with their friend john and his girlfriend Kate. We stayed in a cute Wigwam for the night, had a BBq, and sat around chatting.
The next day it was pouring rain, we drove around a bit, went onto a beach in the rain...in our raincoats and then headed to Inverness where John lives.
The city of Inverness is beautiful, with a lot of churches and a really cool castle. We all went to an Indian restaurant for dinner and hit up a few pubs. We stayed this night in a mansion that was run by this lady who we think was a witch...but it was a cool B&B.
Our last day there we stopped to see if we could find the Loch Ness Monster in the water...and no signs of him that day. We all had a bite to eat and then we drove to Glasgow, stayed in a hostel and saw some buildings...then flew back to Ireland.
All in all, Scotland is beautiful, I am happy i got to see kilts, a pipe band, sheep, Loch Ness, rainbows, mountains and castles of course!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 97, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Photo 4Photo 4
Photo 4

More men competing
Photo 5Photo 5
Photo 5

Dave and Clo eating a burger
Photo 7Photo 7
Photo 7

The bag pipes!!
Photo 8Photo 8
Photo 8

cool outfit!!
Photo 9Photo 9
Photo 9

A man about to throw the caber
Photo 10Photo 10
Photo 10

he got it over!
Photo 11Photo 11
Photo 11

Ronan entered a shot put contest and got 3rd place and a cool medal.
Photo 12Photo 12
Photo 12

Some locks...is that even how you spell it...they are for the boats
Photo 14Photo 14
Photo 14

nice pic
Photo 15Photo 15
Photo 15

the morning of the big hike up Ben Nevis
Photo 16Photo 16
Photo 16

Getting ready...making sure we have all we need and tying up our shoelaces for the 4hr hike up the mtn.
Photo 18Photo 18
Photo 18

The flattest part of the day...just beginning
Photo 19Photo 19
Photo 19

Dave is ready
Photo 20Photo 20
Photo 20

sheep just hanging out
Photo 21Photo 21
Photo 21

Dave checking out the scenery


Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.023s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb