Prague


Advertisement
Europe
October 22nd 2005
Published: October 24th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Prague is a magical old city. I decided to come here from Dresden, which is about a two hour train ride away.

I went on a walking tour one day and saw many of the culturally and historic locations in the city, including the sights of the two Prague Defenestrations. Apparently, a popular form of protest in the middle ages was to throw people of windows. Both defenestrations started major wars, one which (The Thirty Years War) was one of Europe´s bloodiest.

I noticed a number of strange statues in Europe, but there are a particularly large number in Prague: cloaks with no body inside and the like. Then again, this is where Kafka is from...

I also visited a museum dedicated to showing what life was like under Communism in Czechoslovakia. It was a really well put together museum, and life back then doesn´t seem to have been any fun. Perhaps ironically, the museum is between a McDonald´s and a casino - both of which are ubiquitous in Prague.

The beer is so cheap here, and good. The original Pilsner and Budweiser are made here, and a half litre costs around 25 Czech crowns which is about 1,20$ Canadian. Its too bad that I was kind of under the weather for a couple of days while in Prague, so I couldn´t indulge too much. Oh well.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.225s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb