Friday


Advertisement
Europe
June 29th 2007
Published: June 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hey everyone,
So this is going to be a quick post because I was wiriting this and some little kids beside me knocked out the power, so i lost alot of time. but thankfully the heat wave feels as thought it has broken. Today we have a really nice breeze all day that even made it into the olive grove. Also I'm wearing jeans and not sweating, it's a very nice change and i'm really looking forward to sleeping in cooler temperatures, althought it's still probably 35.

Anyways this week has been good. We excavated our first penguin yesterday, but i was not in on that one because there just isn't enought room for all 4 students around such a small area, so Christine and Nicole did it with Jodi. And they did a great job. It was pretty messed up with lots of animal bones and human bones together. there was a tooth a hand bone and a foot bone all in the same area. So who knows what was happening there..it was probably really disturbed. But with this grave it's normal for all the mortuary school students to stay at site until it's finished. Greek law says that when a burial is oncovered it has to be dug completely all in the same day...or you can post an armed guard overnight, (which we don't do) so it all has to be done in a day, but because it's so delicate it takes forever. So yesterday we were on the island for 14 hours. SO TIRED!!!!

We also started to find alot of other fragments in another area, so jaymelee and I are taking care of taht. it is a very disturbed "grave" in the plow zone, so we didn't think it was a real grave, but as we uncovered more there was alot of fragments and as we got lower we began to expose more and more..we didn't start until the afternoon, so it got late and we covered it up and aregoign to take care of it on monday first thing.

Tomorrow we're goign to travel aroudn the area and see the local sites and museums. and then it's Kerril ( our field school directors) birthday. We're having a party for him tomorrow ngiht at the beach bar. tongiht we're hanging out at a different bar down the street. Just a few of us.

I promise to post pictures soon, I just keep forgetting the cord to my camera and it's so slow here that I'm wating for a better connection. but soon.

It's really good that the heat wave has broken because lots of peopel have been sick. (not me though) So we're going back to 6:00am breakfast. I'm excited for an extra 1/2 hour of sleep!

that's all for now. i'll post more later!
hillary

Advertisement



6th July 2007

Hey Hill! Sounds like you're still enjoying yourself... I"m glad the heat broke a bit for ya... can't wait to see you when you get back... we miss you around here.... erin, jr and I are officially roomies for the fall so you'll have to come and have sleepovers!! miss ya hun Smoe

Tot: 0.273s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0475s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb