Penguins


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Thessaly » Meteora
July 6th 2007
Published: July 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

It has been a crazy week. where to start!
Well last weekend we toured around boetia (spelling? sorry), we saw where the theban sacred band was buried, and then visited a few museums and we also visited a site of an oracle. That was alot of fun because the site is up a cliff in a cave. and the story is that people would climb up and crawl into this cave and then fall into a pit, and while lying there they would be visited by the oracle and it would answer their questions. so John younger our director and a few other students climbed up. So then we took off to glah. A crazy site that is completely overgrown. While hiking through thistles and bushes Tyler got stung by a wasp...and john fixed him by using a cigarette to get the sting out...(i don't know but it seemed to work) and then I had a huge spider crawling up the inside of my leg...AHHHH so we finally got out of there and headed back to tragana.

Canada day came next and we (all 6 of us) celebrated by going to the bakery for treats and beer at zoes. We also celebrated the 4th of july with a BBQ.

So anyways the site this week has been crazy!! Last week we excavated a penguin and the fun kept going! We've now done 5. My first one was in the olive grove with Jaymelee. It was in the plow zone which means that it wasn't in a tomb, cist or pit, it had been disturbed and we originally found the cranium. We figured that since it was in the plow zone we would only find fragmenst of it but it turns out that we found a mostly complete skeleton. and an adult as well which is rare. There was alot missing and as we were excavating the legs we were missing the left tibia and femure but came across a giant hole, and we were joking that it swallowed up the bone...and it actually did.. So it was an interesting first penguin because it wasn't in a defined area and isn't like what we'll be seeing for the rest of the season (hopefully). We ended getting off the island around 8:30 that evening so it was a 15 hour day. So long. and the worst part is that our hot water broke on saturday while we were away..so being tired and dirty and having a cold shower...not the way to end a day.

The next day jaymee and I had to finish our penguin (we had to take our a part of the baulk to get to the legs) and we finished around 6:00 that evening.
Christing and nicole were suppost to be working on another in a different trench but because of delays they didn't get around to it. But it was swept very nicely and was ready to go right away the next morning. So wednesday at breakfast Johyn asked me if I would go to the apothiki for the day, and I said yes. So off I went and washed pttery and also got a one on one lessson with pat (the pottery guy) with sorting and identifying time periods. ti was really intersting and helpful. Then I ended up going back out to the island because as Adrien (a trench supervisor) was excvating that day theyt came down on some mudbrick and inside was penguin. So now we had two open. So off I went to help out. And it was so cool. we had another almost intack skeleton and a super cool cranium! So that was another late day we didn't leave until 7:30. So the entire week was full of long days.
but we're haning in there.

Then thursday Nicole and I got to excavate a penguin in aussie dave's trench. it was an infant burial..but it was mostly empty and disturbed. we only found fragments really.

Friday we left at 7:00 in the monring and are off on another jam packed road trip. we were at mycenae today and saw grave circle a where agamemnons mask wasfound and we got to go down to the active excavations and talk to the director about his site and what they're doing. it's rediculously cool and high tech.
We also went to corinth and climbed up a huge mountain. i think john said we were 600 meters above sea level (but that doesn't mean anthing to me really...so all you need to know is that it's high)

Tomorrow we're off on more adventures, and i'm really excited.

Things here are great, the people just keep getting better and better as i get to know them. I'm really enjoying tragana and all it's crazyness. We still have about 3-5 penguins lined up and a few other potential, so it doesn't seem like there will be a shortage this season.

I know I've promised picutres but at the moment the connection is too slow to up load any of them so i will keep trying but maybe it will just ahve to be select ones until i get home..but eventaully they will be there.

I've also heard that my blog may be a bit of a downer??? but i'm trying my best to get everything in and make it semi interesting as i write with out running out of time and the timer slowly ticks down...so downer or not...i'm having a great time and i hope that you guys are at least getting a bit of an idea of what i'm doing!

well that's all for now. I'm guessing it will be another bust week with lots of penguins, so I probalby wont have internet time agian until next weekend. so have a great week, I miss you all tons. Again if you want post cards send me your addresses! i'm sedning out my first round shortly!

Love Hill

Advertisement



11th July 2007

It sounds like you're having a good time. Did you get mom and dad's email? I'm feeling very left behind as the only family member left in Canada. I'm going home this weekend to use the pool and the deck. Too bad you won't be there. Miss you. Have fun!

Tot: 0.277s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0904s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb