Beer and chocolate in Brussels


Advertisement
Europe
May 29th 2007
Published: May 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The ScorpionThe ScorpionThe Scorpion

It's not Zoro, it's The Scorpion: Brussels street art
Brussels was an accident, really. Not the city itself, I'm sure that was quite deliberate, but us going there really came about as a diversion, as one last trip before the reality of work for Andrea and finding work for Ben, really hit.

Deciding to try Eurostar had as much to do with cost as it did with convenience. Living in London offers so many potential transport options, but London Waterloo to Brussels' Gare du Midi was our decision. It was to be six days of beer and chocolate, with the obligatory FA Cup Final thrown in along the way.

As it turned out, Brussels had much to offer beyond just beer and chocolate including some amazing sights, such as the unimaginatively (but aptly) named The Grand Place; the Musees Royaux Beaux-Art; the Delirium bar (not to mention others); and the Pissing Boy (that's what they actually call him because that's what he's actually doing).

We spent our time roaming for the first few days, checking out the city as much as we could stand. It was a far cry from the hustle of Asia and it wasn't as interesting or confronting in the way that those
Happy travellersHappy travellersHappy travellers

Stopped for a happy snap in Parc de Bruxelles
Asian cities often are. Instead, it was mild, polite and easy.

To be honest, after two months in SE Asia, everything was so expensive and hard to digest as such, but the food in several places we went was top notch, particularly the Italian food.

Andrea practised her French and we both drank plenty of beer and ate mountains of chocolate.

One of the curiosities of Brussels is the scaffolding art and art nouveau. It gives the city a contemporary feel, despite its age.

One day, we walked into this great little beer tavern, filled with cool looking old Belgian beer flies. A few curious looks, but we were made to feel welcome. We didn't see the GIANT rainbow flag flapping quietly in the breeze. What were the tell-tale signs? The festive decor? The fact that there are only men there? The complimentary ‘Gay Pride’ condoms with lubricant? No, for Ben, there were no tell-tale signs, he had no idea.

On the Saturday, Mikey dropped by for a visit from Luxembourg. We've known Mikey for a few years when we were in Melbourne working together. He's originally from Christchurch and a proud Kiwi.

So
Art NouveauArt NouveauArt Nouveau

A man and his dog ... some amazing sculpture in the Agora, near The Grand Place
we watched the FA Cup Final at our hotel because all the bars showing it were packed with shirt wearers and we couldn't get past the doors! anyway, go Chelsea!

A big night (really by accident) at Delirium ensued. Drinking strong Belgian beer made sure of a massive hangover for the train ride back to London.










Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

The Pissing BoyThe Pissing Boy
The Pissing Boy

Doing what he does best
A waffles ban in Belgium?A waffles ban in Belgium?
A waffles ban in Belgium?

We like this one - if you zoom in, it tells you to please respect their shop and not eat waffles in front of their window (note: the obstruction designed to also prevent the unauthorised eating of waffles).
There's my girlThere's my girl
There's my girl

Andrea in our little Rainbow pub, with cool locals sipping delicious beer
Mikey and BenMikey and Ben
Mikey and Ben

A couple of Belgian beers at Delirium
DeliriumDelirium
Delirium

Andrea speaking to a local man ... in French ...
Andrea, Mikey and BenAndrea, Mikey and Ben
Andrea, Mikey and Ben

And those strong Belgian beers
Good nightGood night
Good night

No one quite knows why Andrea's pointing, buts she is!


13th July 2007

Still check to see where you are, etc the spacing is getting longer though. I certanly hope you WENT and watched the start of the TOUR DE FRANCE.. Have fun kids.

Tot: 0.225s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0611s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb