Things to Remember When Picking Up Your Rental Car at the Airport


Advertisement
Europe
July 6th 2019
Published: July 6th 2019
Edit Blog Post



Picking up a rental car at a U.S. airport might seem like an almost effortless process. After all, you could ask, what is there other than picking up the car that you have already booked?

The rental company will take care of the rest, surely? But that's not necessarily the case. If you want to have the best possible experience and protect yourself, there are certain things that you should keep in mind.

Let's go over some important things to remember when picking up your rental car at the airport.


• Inspect the car before driving it: Carefully examine the vehicle outside and inside before driving off in it. You want to make sure that you notice and the company acknowledges any damage (such as loose parts, scuffs, and scratches) before you leave. It's a good idea to take pictures and/or walk around the car slowly while taking a video. This way, you will have proof if you are challenged or held liable after returning the car. Speaking of returning the car, remember to take photos or video of the car then, too, especially if the company asks you to drop off the car without it being inspected by an employee. You will want to keep these photos or video as proof in case the company suddenly contacts you with accusations of having caused damage.
• Think about asking about possible upgrades: Once you have reached the car rental desk to pick up your car, think about asking about any potential upgrades and what the rates would be for an upgrade. You might get a pleasant surprise and be able to get a larger or better vehicle for a minimal additional cost.
• Remember potential after-hours fees: Keep in mind that if you end up running late for any reason, you might have to pay some after-hours fees. Find out what these fees will be before choosing a car rental company. If you realize that you're going to be late and will end up arriving after hours and you have a booking consultant, it's a good idea to call them and arrange for a time. If you arrive very late and feel you might be too tired to drive safely, you should strongly consider booking a room in the airport's on-site hotel (if it has one) or a hotel near-by (if there is shuttle transportation provided).
• Find a place to refuel: After you pick up your rental car, it's a good idea to identify some gas stations close-by the airport and remember their location. Remember that the areas around airports, especially ones you have never visited before, can be rather confusing. You want to ensure that you know where you will re-fuel before you return the car and fly home.

Don’t Stress At the Airport & Have a Great Time on Your Trip




Wherever you're heading in the U.S., I hope you have a wonderful time. And remember our tips above when picking up your rental car in the USA at the airport.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.771s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 42; dbt: 0.301s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb