Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Anglesey and Snowdonia


Advertisement
Europe
October 14th 2018
Published: October 28th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Sunday October 14 - Today we woke to better skies! It was such a nice treat, and it only got better as the day went on. We had breakfast and got out to see some of the sites we had been missing out on the last couple of days. I had planned a lot of hikes in this area, but since that hadn’t worked out as expected, we headed over to Anglesey, an island connected by bridges to the mainland. They say it is always sunny there, and they are correct. We first stopped at Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, the town with the longest name in Wales. Obviously. We took some silly pictures of ourselves just before a busload of tourists arrived. Next we were off to South Stack Lighthouse in the northwest of the island, one of the places Jeroen has wanted to visit. I’m glad he did, because it was a beautiful area and the skies got blue as we were there, making it look ever more spectacular. From there we headed to the southeast to visit the main town, Beaumaris. We got ice cream, pretended it was summer, and checked out the castle from outside. Another one of Edward’s. We drove back to the mainland and managed to get in a wee hike from Ogden cottage around a lake. Being in the mountains without having to walk up a mountain was a score. It was quite dramatic landscape and really beautiful. Afterwards we had planned to stop at Tesco, an enormous grocery store nearby, but it was closed. It has a huge sign that 24 hours, but it turns out it closes from about 6pm Sunday until 12:01 Monday morning, and we hit it just after 6pm. Ah well. We weren’t sure what there was nearby for dinner, but then we saw Harvey’s, a weird American-style restaurant in the same area, so we ate there. It was almost too funny not to. I had nachos and Jeroen had a pulled pork sandwich. Another quiet night back at the church, and the other couple had checked out, so it was even quieter.


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement




Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0319s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb