Traveling through Europe when you’re broke


Advertisement
Europe
December 14th 2017
Published: December 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

With centuries of rich history and culture, over fifty sovereign states and 750 million people, Europe is a dream destination for many a traveler. If you are broke, however, a trip around Europe can seem out of your reach. Luckily, there are a bunch of things you can do to lower your travel costs and even earn some cash along the way. Here are some tips that will help you travel through Europe on a tight budget.

Timing




Good timing is crucial if you want to travel around Europe on the cheap. Book things like plane tickets and accommodation well in advance for the best deals. When choosing the dates for your European adventure, it pays to travel offseason. Summer is the worst time to visit Europe as prices are at their highest, everything is booked and the cities are overcrowded with tourists. The same applies to public and religious holidays Speaking of timing, many museums have certain days when they are free of charge, so take advantage of that and enjoy a cultural experience without paying a cent.

Work while you travel




Just because you didn’t set out on your journey with a fortune to spend does not mean you cannot make some extra cash along the way. All you need is a laptop, and enough tenacity to find a freelance gig in your area of expertise. Whatever your background, there are plenty of sites that connect freelancers with individuals and companies that need work done. If the tech approach does not suit you, there are plenty of short-term seasonal jobs available all over Europe. Picking grapes in the South of France does have a romantic ring to it.

Getting around




Planes, trains, busses and cars, transportation costs cannot be avoided, but they can be minimized. Do your research and hunt around for deals and discounts. Prices of transportation vary greatly depending on what part of Europe you are in; a cab ride in London cost as much as a weekly bus pass in some other capital. Renting a car in Eastern Europe, for example, is relatively inexpensive, and can make a lot of financial sense if you are traveling in a group. It is a good idea to order an international drivers license online before you start traveling, as you never know when it might come in handy.

Accommodation




Swanky chain hotels may be out of the question, but luckily there is always cheap accommodation to be found. The internet is your friend, and websites like Airbnb and Couchsurfer have offers to suit anyone’s purse. Alternatively, if you don’t mind sharing a room with other fellow travelers, hostels are a dime a dozen in every European city. If it is a slow night, you might be surprised by the discounts you can get if you are up for a little friendly haggling. For the really adventurous outdoorsy types, Campinmygarden is a website that offers just that: the chance to camp for next to nothing in private gardens.



As more and more tourists flock to certain European destinations, you might need to dig just a little bit deeper to find the best deals. All in all, Europe is a great budget destination if you know where to look, and are prepared to be flexible with your travel plans.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.458s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0879s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb