... for the first time!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom
July 22nd 2012
Published: July 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Been a while since I last blogged, mainly due to outdoor life now that summer has arrived (not so conducive to blogging), and no internet access last night for the first time. It has nothing to do with my reading material!

Yes, this hot sunny weather is so welcome. Marvellous to feel sun on your body for the first time. This is when boating really comes into its own. The river is still again, like a mirror, not the raging torrent of last week. People are out and about, chatting at locks, and sitting out on the banks, relaxing. The suntan lotion has made an appearance for the first time, as have the mosquitos! The cabin is warm and dry, nothing feels damp, no condensation running down the windows for the first time.

Had really good few days, with friends and family visiting. Moved on from Marlow on Friday morning after another swim (and shower) at Marlow Pool, and made our way to Henley. The day seemed quite warm and dry at first, then clouds gathered, and as expected, the heavens opened as we approached Hambledon Lock. Muggins out on bow duty of course, soaked again (not for the first time!)

Got a bit more culture in Henley - visited the Thames and Rowing Museum, which was interesting, and had the added bonus of toilets - always on the lookout for those! Entertained Fiona and John on the boat on Friday evening, and then Sue and Roy on Saturday - only the second day without rain since we started on 29 June. And then onwards to moor up in a more peaceful and private spot just above Henley for Saturday night; slightly concerned when a narrow boat, vibrating with noise and young men, moored up beside us, but they soon moved on to invade Henley for the evening. Later one of the nearby houses very kindly put on a firework display for us!

Awoke to blue skies and warmth, for the first time. Pootled on upstream, through Shiplake Lock where for the first time we had to queue; until now we've had the locks to ourselves. Everyone seemed to have taken to the water. And then back through Sonning and Reading, where we were 3 weeks ago, to Caversham, our overnight mooring site. Sat reading the Sunday papers in the sun, and then Tom and Ally joined us and we barbequed for the first time.

And so, as the sun sets over the water, we prepare for bed. But not before the ritual of curtain duty; a nightly chore involving pulling sixteen ill-fitting curtains across our tiny windows to fit as best they can; seems to take forever. Definitely new curtains next year!

And then, into bed, slightly red and tingling from sun, headtorches on... now, where's that book????

Advertisement



23rd July 2012

Summer at last...
So pleased weather has eventually perked up for you. Sounds as though you are having a ball. All well here; had a nice time with Mum, Alan, Derek and Marie yesterday. Love to you both, Phil, Ange and girls xxxxx
23rd July 2012

Sun sun sun :-)
Weather forecast looking promising for next week :-)... Myself & Hels were talking today about visiting you both soon... Just need to decide on a day!! Sacha has had a tumble whilst chasing a rabbit & pulled some ligaments in her legs :-( harry is getting cheekier by the hour; spent most of the last 2 days in his pool :-) really pleased the sun has got his hat on for you guys.... Are you through shades and onto Darker yet?? Big hugs to you both xxxx
24th July 2012

Shillingford
Rosie meant to say have you been to Shillingford Hotel, near Wallingford,there is a swimming pool next to the river. We used to go with the children when they were little. Another gorgoeus day. Love Sarah (W)
25th July 2012

Hurrah!
So glad the sun has finally made an appearance, bet you're glad you didn't come home now! I am now feeling very envious as there is nothing like being on the river in glorious sunshine. Enjoy xx p.s. I'm starting Fifty Shades today.

Tot: 0.653s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0651s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb