On to Donegal


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom
July 6th 2010
Published: July 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today was a travel day. We left the Herbert Park Hotel at about 9 am and headed out to New Grange to tour the ruins where there were found remains of the first inhabitants of Ireland. It is located in a rural area and like many ancient sites like Stone Henge and other ancient “wonders” of the world, it is hard to imagine how such structures were built when there were no big machines and equipment to help in the erection of such sites. Newgrange was constructed over 5,000 years ago (about 3,200 B.C.), making it older than Stonehenge in England and the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt. Newgrange was built during the Neolithic or New Stone Age by a farming community that prospered on the rich lands of the Boyne Valley. Knowth and Dowth are similar mounds that together with Newgrange have been designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.

Later it was on to Donegal which is about a 5 hour trip on the coach. Imagine 4 Sweeneys having to sit in one place for a long time. Need I say more? Fortunately we had a break after about 2 ½ hours at the Slieve Russell Hotel
Great Potato Famine SculptureGreat Potato Famine SculptureGreat Potato Famine Sculpture

Bob captured these photos. Very, very moving expressions.
and Country Club in the county of Cavan. The tour agency arranges a stop here for tea/coffee and scones or, as our guide said, “……or perhaps something stronger” So we whetted our thirst with some Guiness, Baileys and my new favorite brew, called Bulmers cider. Very nice. Sue had a French martini which she enjoyed.

Our driver/guide, Dermott, is very encaging and quite knowledgeable and even amusing. Lots of good Irish wit. He is clearly very proud of his heritage. We learned today that St. Patrick had negotiated with God and that arrangement called for St. Patrick to be permitted to judge the Irish when they arrived at the Pearly Gates. Sounds like we are good! He also mentioned that there are many legends surrounding the life of St., Paddy. He stated that the only “snakes” driven out were there 66 members of Parliament.

Part of our trip today included a brief detour through Northern Ireland. Signs were no longer in both Gaelic and English but only English. Dermott explained that some 7 years ago, he would never have attempted to pass through the area as he would never feel comfortable insofar as security is concerned. However, things have changed and he has no fears today.

The landscape along the way today is captivating! There is a lot of rolling farmland with grazing cattle and sheep. In the small cities along the route, one can see vestiges from ancient times--towers, homes and encompassing walls.

We have found the Irish to be very accommodating and polite. Our roots are very, VERY good and speaking for myself and the rest of us, all I can say is that we are PROUD.

Last night’s treat at the Merry Ploughboy Pub was fabulous! We were entertained with the 4 man band and the Irish dancers. The meal was superb and was ended with an Irish coffee! I had never tasted a scotch that was so smooth! Jameson has a new fan!

Ok, if we ever get some sufficient free time, there will be entries made by the other Sweeneys! Slainte!





Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Merry PloughboyMerry Ploughboy
Merry Ploughboy

.......alive, alive oh!!!
Do not enter?Do not enter?
Do not enter?

Ummm...I don't think so...
FrankFrank
Frank

Frank studies the scientific positioning of this 5000 year old burial rock. Information will be forthcoming. No glasses=serious business!


Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb