Dublin / Happy 4th of July!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom
July 4th 2010
Published: July 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After a long flight, a few Irish brews, the clan had a restful night and everyone is still speaking to one another! Our hotel here is very nice but there is no internet service so I am piggying off some other unsecured site.

Today we had a great breakfast and then headed for a tour of the city which included a visit to the Malahide Castle, set on 250 acres and belonged to the Talbot Family from 1185 until 1975. The oldest parts of the castle date back to the 12th century and it was home to the Talbot family for 791 years, the only exception being the period from 1649-1660, when Oliver Cromwell granted it to Miles Corbet after the Cromwellian conquest of Ireland; Corbet was hanged following the demise of Cromwell, and the castle was restored to the Talbots. No pictures were allowed to be taken but Bob got caught!

After that we went to the Botanical Gardens which was not a popular pick for the Sweeney's but we were good sports and made up our own narration as we followed along. The gardens were founded in 1795 by the Dublin Society (later the Royal Dublin Society)
A couple of establismentsA couple of establismentsA couple of establisments

Plenty to choose from in our area!
and they have grown to hold 20,000 living plants and many millions of dried plant specimens. There are several architecturally notable glass greenhouses.


After that we were free for the afternoon. Everyone except me went back to the hotel but I wanted to wander around the City Centre of Dublin for an hour! When I got back, imagine where I found Bob and Frank?????? Yeah...Tonite we go the the The Merry Ploughboy for dinner and a dance show. Will post more later!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Outside the CastleOutside the Castle
Outside the Castle

Since we were not allowed to take pics....but Bob has some and I will add them later!


4th July 2010

Hey
Hey Everyone- Thanks for doing the blog and keeping us posted on your travels. Glad you made it safely and are having fun! Drink an Irish ale for me--- something small and locally brewed. I can drink Guiness any old time! :-) Love, Margie
4th July 2010

Hey
Hey Everyone- Thanks for doing the blog and keeping us posted on your travels. Glad you made it safely and are having fun! Drink an Irish ale for me--- something small and locally brewed. I can drink Guiness any old time! :-) Love, Margie
5th July 2010

Happy 4th to you!
Hey clan.....looks like you are having fun. How do you like the local brew? Are you drinking the drafts? Check them out! We made it back to Mt. P. about midnight on the 3rd (or is that the 4th). Long trip home....but all is well. Have a blast.
6th July 2010

Happy 4th to you!
Hey clan.....looks like you are having fun. How do you like the local brew? Are you drinking the drafts? Check them out! We made it back to Mt. P. about midnight on the 3rd (or is that the 4th). Long trip home....but all is well. Have a blast.

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb