Day 1 in Edinburgh


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom
August 13th 2009
Published: August 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

An overnight bus after a 30 flight isn't probably the best start to a big trip. But at least i get a full 5 days here.

I'm really looking forward to having a bed for the first time tonight. It'll be 3 nights since i've seen a bed. Kind of over trying and failing to sleeping in planes/airport lounges/buses!!

On the drive up here the sun was rising as we were coming through Northumberland. So we had a lot of the old castles and mansions in the golden light of the sunrise. I was gorgeous. Unfortunately we were driving so i couldn't get an decent pics of them.

It was amazing seeing the rolling green hills as we were driving up through the north of england and scotland. I haven't seen that much grass for a very long time. It was such a lush green colour too. Totally different to anything i can ever remember seeing.

Edinburgh as a city is beautiful. Everything is old. there are Castles, churches and statues everywhere you look. It's hard to know which way to look and what to take a photo of.

I wandered around the city today. Just trying to take it all in. It's really amazing.

Over the next couple of days there's a few exhibitions i want to go to as well as the Genealogy Society to try to find out all i can about the Smith family tree. I'm not sure how successful i'll be but fingers crossed.

I had a wander up the Royal Mile in the evening too. This is where all the street performers are during the Fringe. It was pretty cool. Lots of jugglers and acrobats everywhere.

There are also lots of random street signs all over town... part of the Fringe. Quite funny!!

I think the only disappointing thing about Edi is that there's so much construction going on everywhere. there's so many amazing thingsd to see but its hard to get a pic without getting the construction zone fences in the shot. But i guess that's what happens when you have such an old city... building need to be maintained foarly regularly i guess.

Tonight i had a pretty early night and the sleep was incredible.




Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.589s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb