Scotland - the Beginning of the End


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom
September 18th 2007
Published: October 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Scotland - The Beginning of the End ….



By Miss Wendy O

A little tired, a little jaded, and a little over it, our last leg of our adventure feels like the end of our hard travelling as we return home to Scotland.

But rest we don’t, as although not a culture shock (apart from the return of the original chip supper and excessive drinking yippee), we have many things to do, places to explore and family and friends to visit. A return to our homeland wasn’t initially on our itinerary but this quickly changed when Lorraine and Jonathan announced their wedding plans earlier this year. As honoured bridesmaid, there was no way I was missing such a special occasion so we decided to combine the trip to Scotland with some valuable family time, a trip to Italia and a trip to Orkney (see later blogs for details).

Edinburgh Festival

First stop, Edinburgh, home to the annual Fringe Festival, one of the largest in the world. It’s brilliant to be in this amazing city at this time of year. With the Fringe, it’s packed and buzzing. Mum, my wee sister Laura and I hit the town and crammed as many shows and performances into the 3 days we had together in Edinburgh as possible. Laura and Mum managed to pick out some star performances for us to see but an equal number of rubbish ones too. Probably the best comedy show we went to was a freebie one rainy Tuesday afternoon. Highlights include the Backpacker; one dude, a lonely planet, a hostel and 5 hilariously stereotypical backpacker characters including an obnoxious, proud Israeli, a loud American and a shagging Englishman; the comedian posing as a vending machine (not particularrrrlllllyyyy noooooo); an acrobatic dance show with rollerbladers, BMXs’ and some very energetic dancers; and the Edinburgh Tattoo which is a military band performance held in the stunning castle grounds. With the castle lit up by beautifully coloured laser lighting, Mum and I watched and listened to bands from Scotland, Wales, Ireland, US and Taiwan. I thought it was going to be a little stuffy but it turned out to be very impressive and really enjoyable.

Stobo Castle

As a treat for Mum’s birthday and a great chance for us to catch up we indulged in 2 nights at Stobo Castle Spa. I know what you’re thinking …. This isn’t exactly on the gringo or Nzungo trail and totally outside my meagre travelling budget but I thought if I booked it on Stuart’s credit card I’d be finished travelling before I had to think about paying it - genius!

Stobo Castle is perfectly situated in the country, 20 mins outside Peebles in Scotland. Inset a few miles from the nearest road, it’s tranquil and peaceful where the only sounds to be heard are the chirps from the early morning birds and the gentle flow of the nearby river. The castle itself is split into two main areas. The 2 old turrets and main entrance to the castle is where the main bedrooms, reception, dining rooms and drawing rooms (ya dahling) are housed and the newer renovated rear part of the castle is where the pampering is done. There’s a huge swimming pool and spa, 5 steam rooms, a big gym and exercise studios and most importantly, the treatment rooms. There is an air of tranquillity and relaxation with most guests wondering around sipping camomile tea and wearing their white fluffy robes and slippers. Meal times are a chance to meet the other residents you are
Sista SistaSista SistaSista Sista

... never knew how much I'd miss ya
seated with over delicious decadent food and a cheeky glass or 2 of fine vino after a hard days work at the treatment rooms (not that we needed it of course. Naturally, beauty is within!). What a treat!!!

Mum and I indulged in a French polish facial and an aromatherapy massage. Making full use of the facilities we soaked in the spa, had a paddle in the pool and went to several exercise classes including a bizarre dance class called Dance of the Dragon where you balance your yin and yang with a chi-ball. Fully in touch with our inner selves and fully relaxed it was time to leave the chick’s kingdom of pampering behind.

Meanwhile, Stuart headed north to spend time with Pops over a few sessions of fishing. They spent a day just outside Fort Augustus and a day at Gairloch. As I suspected after our fishing expedition in Montana, Stuart’s fishing skills are purely theoretical. I recommended he should stay at home with his pinny and leave the hard stuff to me and Pops.

London’s Oxford Street Here We Come

Next stop ... London, to hang out with Lorraine and Jonathan, the bride and groom to be. There was muchos celebrating to be done with both our recent engagements so 4 bottles of vintage Moet were in order. Brushing off a slight woolly hangover the next morning, Lorraine and I hit Oxford Street to shop for a bridesmaid dress for me. Only 2 weeks to go until the wedding and 1 weekend together to shop, the pressure was on. We very quickly found the perfect dress and sparkly sandals. Yipeeee

While we were busy shopping, Stuart caught up with few old friends, Tristan from back home on Speyside and of course the ambassador of London Geezas, Derek.

Our last night in London we all went to see Fame. Jonathan was desperate to see it being a favourite from his childhood. It was diabolical! The worst performance I have ever seen. With tears in our eyes from holding back our laughter, we escaped at half time phew!

Brighton by the Beach with my Beech

When in London ….. do as the locals do and take a trip to sunny Brighton! Lorz took a day off work and took me on a train trip to Brighton Beach. Brighton has a definite seaside holidaymaker aura about it. We walked down Brighton Pier to the old rustic amusement park where we relived our childhoods and jumped on a few rides. I giggled so much bouncing like a demon on the giant trampolines I thought I was going to throw up! Lorz coaxed me away from the tame quaint carousel in favour of a life-threatening, thigh-bruising ride that threw us violently across the flying carriage for 5 whole enduring minutes of pain and nausea. A trip to the seaside isn’t quite complete without a few bruises and a slight queasy feeling!

Friends Reunited

Stuart and I took a whistle stop tour to Glasgow to visit Craig and Amanda. It was a lovely summers’ evening in Scotland so we took Lewis and Scott for a walk along the banks of Loch Lomond. Scott took ‘having a dip in the loch’ a little too far as he stripped naked and went for a paddle. We nipped into the local country pub for a relaxed beer then home to indulge in Amanda’s home cooking.

Back in Edinburgh we met up with Joyce, Alan, Stacie and Stewart, my relatives from Orkney. Stewart was just being ‘unleashed’ into the big smoke from Orkney to start his career as a master chef, following in his Dad’s footsteps. We caught up over arguably the best curry I have ever tasted at the Mosque after which Stacey, who is a hair stylist in Edinburgh, took pity on our travelling mops and went to work with her scissors. An essential task before the wedding of the year that weekend.

The next night we met up with Lou and Andy, Barry and Rach in one of my favourite bars in Edinburgh, Cuba Norte. As always Barry overestimated his drinking ability and Andy wouldn’t quit his merkin impression!!!

Before leaving Edinburger, we spent a night catching up with Johna and John over Johna’s tasty cooking via a call to the local Thai! John was a total superstar the next morning driving both of us around Edinburgh trying to be in the right place at the right time for the hen and stag events.

Sista Sista

After the event of the year (see separate blog for Lorz’s wedding), Stuart and I picked up Gemma and Carrie-Ann and headed towards Edinburgh for an action packed afternoon. Despite Carrie-Ann walking as
Mum, Wendy and LauraMum, Wendy and LauraMum, Wendy and Laura

At the Edinburgh Fringe
though she had crapped herself after a strenuous outward-bound course she had just returned from, we braved the aerial assault course at the International Climbing Centre. 500metres high, the assault course was suspended from the roof and consisted of wobbly logs, ladders and bridges you had to make your way across, as well as gripping for life on two scary flying foxes that creaked and screamed before landing you on ‘safe’ ground. It was harder than it looked given every piece of the assault course swayed from side to side as you stood on or grabbed it. We were of course harnessed up but that didn’t stop one particular scaredy-pants from getting a dose of vertigo and freaking out half way across. I promised HIM I wouldn’t mention any names.

After our feet were on safe ground we giggled our way through Run, Fat Boy, Run at the cinema over a giant box of popcorn.

The Dirty Wickers

After a stopover in Hotel de Pops and Anne in Grantown, we headed north up the East coast to Wick, my birth town. Driving along the East Coast north of Inverness reminds me just how rugged and beautiful this part of Scotland is. Despite a stinky hotel room at Harbour Café B&B, we had a great night catching up with Nana, Karen, Andrew, the boyz Greg and Darrell, and Maureen. Nana kept us entertained with a trip down memory lane with all the articles she collected from the old days and , as always, there was many a tale told. Greg made a surprise appearance dressed as a sailor with an Afro after raiding Nana’s wardrobe. Strange behaviour and an even bigger concern is the items my Nana keeps in her wardrobe….

Hello Huntly

Finally, we arrived in my hometown of Huntly, the part of our Scottish trip I had been most looking forward to. I was ecstatic about being reunited with my boyz, Irvine and Colin and of course my cute niece, Princess Clover. As a surprise I went to collect Irvine from school. After waiting around at the school gate for 25 mins the surprise was on me when he didn’t show up!!! Eventually he came ‘daundering’ (like it Gordon) out trailing his school bag with not a worry in the world. Colin was looking as kool as ever with his long surfer-like hair and cheeky smile. Clover, who has just turned two has changed so much in the last 9mths. She is talking now, mainly saying ‘go away’ and ‘NO’ and is a right wee entertainer. She is the cutest kid in town with her blond curls and her pink outfits.

On Friday night we had a small family reunion at my Mum’s house. 5 bottles of bubbly later and Mum was playing my guitar like a rock-star, Helena and John were smooching, Ann and Susan were laughing at poor Stuart’s gimp feet and Granny was questioning the authenticity of my sandwiches!

The following day, the rock star had crashed as Mum spent the morning with her head in a basin so Stuart and I, Susan and Chris took the boyz to Elgin for a spot of go-karting. Of course it was just the kids who stepped up to the challenge so off Colin, Irvine and Stuart went to get their gear on and get briefed by the 13-year-old professionals (? Hmmm cause for concern?).

Irvine, who I suspect must have been the youngest go-karter they had ever had was soon drowning in his overalls, which he claimed were for
Mum Chillin at StoboMum Chillin at StoboMum Chillin at Stobo

Living it large
giants. Susan, Chris and I looked on with chewed fingernails as Irvine appeared to be paying absolutely no attention to the guy briefing them on the rules and the car, instead distracted by the track. Padding up Irvine’s chair with several pillows so we could reach the pedals, they were off cutting up the track like maniacs. Colin especially took to his go-kart like Colin McRae himself, taking out several highly stacked tyres in the process.

After many skids, bumps and laps, all 3 drivers retired to the pit lane for a much less exciting drive back to Huntly. Susan was gourmet chef for the evening cooking up a storm for the family in her new swanky kitchen.

It was soooo sad to say goodbye to all the following morning with no immediate plans to return to my family. Aunty Doris and Colin dropped in to say a quick hello then it was time for the scary parent meet. Yip you guessed it …. when Mum and Bill met Pops and Anne. We all had a fab meal and a great catch up with only a couple of embarrassing stories exchanged.

It was then back to Grantown that night for a few quiet glasses of wine with Pops and Anne. For our last couple of days in Scotland, Stuart and I were treated to 2 nights in the Golf View Hotel in Nairn. Located just a few feet from the Moray Firth, this beautiful old mansion, with newly added pool and gym, was a little posh and very peaceful.

It was time to say farewell to Scotland after a jam-packed whistle-stop tour as we come to the end of our epic adventure … well almost.

Turtles on Tour



Where’s Wally

During my stay at Stobo Castle, I agreed to go a morning run with Ruth, a chick I met over dinner the previous night. We chose a 45-minute route around the castle grounds, which was just gorgeous. Meanwhile, Mum decided on one of the walking routes around the grounds, also estimated to take around 45minutes. On returning to my room after a good stretch I was alarmed to see several messages on my mobile phone from my frantic Mum claiming to be lost! To put this in context for you, there are 4 routes clearly marked with coloured arrows around the castle grounds, along with a very detailed map provided by reception. After another 45 minutes of me frantically running around looking for Mum, she returned safe and sound along with her non-existent sense of direction.



Additional photos below
Photos: 78, Displayed: 31


Advertisement

Stobo GardensStobo Gardens
Stobo Gardens

... where's Wally???
GairlochGairloch
Gairloch

On a gorgeous summer day


20th November 2007

Congratulations!
Congrats on a great trip around the world. It's been great reading your blogs and seeing all the amazing adventures you got up to. Shame we couldn't catch up while you were in the US.

Tot: 0.541s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 18; qc: 99; dbt: 0.2008s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb