Two fingers


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom
September 4th 2005
Published: September 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Changing the GuardChanging the GuardChanging the Guard

Most well known event in London.
English immigration proved to be more difficult than expected. Still in France in the train station, the immigration officer got suspect with Fernando. Young, single, unemployed with a brand new passport from a 3rd world country, he had the perfect profile of illegal workers. Wasn't for Claudio's previous US and Canada visa showing that we are "respectable" people, we would have our entry denied.

With only 4 days available, we focus our visit to London in the main attractions. We basically wounder around town visiting the London Bridge, Big Ben, The Tower of London, Buckingham palace, Changing of the guard, etc.
Every day we had full-English breakfast in the morning and ate fish and ships for lunch with wosh...unpronounceable...ter sauce, this way our English experience was complete. A great thing about London are the theaters. We went 3 of the 4 nights we were there. Of course buying the tickets in the TKTS for half price (Claudio had learned that from his time in NY).

One place we wanted to visit was the Stone Hedge, but somehow Fernando had the impression it was in the north of Scotland. Only in the last day we discovered it was only one
London Tower BridgeLondon Tower BridgeLondon Tower Bridge

We were lucky to see it open when we where crossing.
hour away.

Only in our last day in England we found out that we were the rudest tourist ever. Every time we went to purchase anything we asked always for two. One for Claudio one for Fernando. But what we didn't know is that showing the two fingers in England means the same as the middle finger for us in Brazil (and the rest of the world). If wasn't for a friendly ticket seller to explain us, we would have offended even more people there.

In the day before our departure we met in the hostel two English backpackers starting their one year world trip. They were leaving to South East Asia the following day. We couldn't believe. One year on the road seamed impossible.

This way we finished our backpacking adventure around Europe. Fernando was to start an English course in York and Claudio was flying to Brazil back to work after his vacation. Until now we didn't know things would change so much.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Big BenBig Ben
Big Ben

Tourist standard picture. "This is me in London"


Tot: 0.682s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 24; qc: 127; dbt: 0.1233s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb