Chestnut Centre Owls & Otters


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom
June 10th 2007
Published: June 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Ford HallFord HallFord Hall

A view from inside the centre towards Ford Hall
True to our blogging description, we set out on a bright hot sunny day not knowing where we were going or what we would find on our journey but, once again, we weren't disappointed. In the true spirit of pioneers, we loaded the car and set off with our trusty map and travelled over the hills and far away. All we knew was that we were headed off in the direction of Macclesfield, through Furness Vale, out toward Whalley Bridge and on to the road toward Castleton. Whilst the scenery was really good, our diary report today really centres around "a real find" which wasn't on our map OR schedule but what a find! It was on the road to Chapel en le Frith and well signposted - off the main road. (see website)

Once we had parked the car and not knowing what to expect, we went to the information/shop/cafe and 'got a handle' on what the centre was about (see the link). We were greeted by a squirrel (yes a real one!) who was a regular 'customer' at the shop and who scurried into the cafe in the hope of getting food scraps. How cute is that!
Sheep penSheep penSheep pen

The pen is mightier than the sword
Unfortunately it all happened so quickly we didn't even manage to get a photo!

The Chestnut Centre Wildlife Park

The actual walk to see the owls/foxes/wildcats/otters, was about 15 mins from the shop but with breathtaking views. Along the way, were various signs explaining the ethos of the centre together with notices about the wildlife which inhabited the grounds and how to find the cages/pens. Once at the cages, there was background information/photographs - all of the animals/birds having individual 'pet' names. It was a real joy to see animals who were obviously happy and relaxed in their surroundings which, to all intents and purposes, was well blended with nature. The owls (particularly the snowy old and spectacled owls were brilliant) and the otters enjoyed taking centre stage on their wooden decking to bask and play in the sunshine.

We must have spent three hours in this idyllic place, in a valley, sheltered and peaceful with deer and sheep wandering freely and easy to spot.
The two sheep below were a tad warm in their wooly coats and had taken shelter in the shadows - they did not move from the spot as we passed them - or maybe it
Spooky White HunterSpooky White HunterSpooky White Hunter

The information sign for the Barn Owls
was because we informed them we were not meat-eaters - either way, we got the De Mille shot.

Having enjoyed the afternoon there we set off home toward Castleton (be warned - fill your car with petrol as the filling stations are few and far between!) where we had a meal and left with a promise to return.

For nature/animal/bird lovers - treat yourself some afternoon and go see - you won't be disappointed!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

BadgerBadger
Badger

Not the real thing but we bet it had you fooled!
Dyed in the WoolDyed in the Wool
Dyed in the Wool

It's been a bleating exhausting day - I'm tired,how about ewe?
Long Ear-ed OwlsLong Ear-ed Owls
Long Ear-ed Owls

They can see no evil speak no evil but they probably hear everything!


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0298s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb