Tatton Park


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cheshire
June 23rd 2007
Published: June 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Front of Mansion HouseFront of Mansion HouseFront of Mansion House

Many rooms with many views - all beautiful - showing one of the formal flower beds which was matched on the opposite side in the Italian garden [Inset]
A rather overcast day but that didn't dampen our enthusiasm whilst we waited for Jay, our loyal and trusted driver to start us out on our path to Tatton Hall. Once again his metallic blue steed sped us down the motorway to another National Trust property within a 30 mile radius of home.

Even though we are National Trust members - the car park still cost £4.50 which was a bit of a take-on considering we'd just recieved the National Trust members pack,but at the end of the day we were not quibbling as Tatton Park justified the membership fee alone.

Once we parked the car, we headed for the information desk and got our bearings on the Estate using the map for the Estate, which stretched some 1,000 acres. Just across from the car park, children were playing on the swings and in the sand,and people were lining up for the RACE FOR LIFE in aid of Cancer Research.

The property was owned by the Egerton family,and the mansion house has exhibits of the history of the family.
At this stage, we didn't know the delights which awaited us. We arrived early before the mansion
Shop & CafeShop & CafeShop & Cafe

Spend your money and then your time watching all that's going on
house opened and, because there was a few drops of rain, decided to have a quick coffee and cream scone before proudly flashing our new National Trust Membership Cards at the attendant in order to venture forth into the beautifully designed and delightful gardens. The first thing which led our eye into the main gardens was an exquisite pergola - a joy to walk under its magnificent beams covered in climbers with fruit trees.

The area around the walled garden was reminiscent of the childrens programme THE HERBS and one could easily imagine Parsley the Lion pouncing casually from one of the arched openings.

At the end of the the pergola was Charlotte's garden; a spacious garden interspersed with flower beds and stone ornaments. Unfortunately, the large conservatory was closed and so we walked the short distance to the house which was a magnificent sight with a memorable view of the beautiful Italian gardens and balastrade dressed in a purple hue of flowers and framed by the boughs of mature trees. We followed the path recommended in our map of the gardens and on the way to the Japanese Gardens passed the African Hut. (We know that Lord Egerton
PergolaPergolaPergola

Pergola adjacent to the walled garden
was widely travelled throughout the globe and his Estate reflected memorabalia of such places and monuments/structures he had erected in memory of his visits).

The Japanese Garden was extensive but only able to be viewed from various points around its edge. There were 'lively' tours scheduled for this garden but we did not indulge,and were satisfied with the views obtained from our vantage points. The next stop for us was the Tower Garden and the Rose Garden which were all of our favourites. They were scented seclusions tucked out of sight from the main path but well worth finding and a real joy to sit in and reflect on the beauty all around.

When we eventually pulled ourselves away, we headed round to the maze but suddenly realised we hadn't brought the breadcrumbs or Ariadne's thread! So...our strategy was to enter the maze, all three of us staying together and to keep turning left; a strategy which proved successful and despite a few wrong turns, eventually reached the middle, where we planted a small 'flag'; a small step perhaps for the rest of mankind but a giant leap for us!

Retracing one's steps to find the exit
African HutAfrican HutAfrican Hut

An africa hut which we passed on the way to the Japanese Gardens close up and surroundings [Insert]
proved more difficult than one might imagine,but nevertheless it was a shorter time to get out than to the center and one had a mild sense of accomplishment and a feeling of fun - it was easy to see how mazes counted as the "X-box" of the day - providing amusement in reality rather than modern day virtual models.

From the maze we made our way back via Charlotte's garden past the walled garden and exited via a garden gift shop which had everything a prospective gardener may have needed. When we checked the time it had gone 3.30 pm and we realised we hadn't yet been to see "The Old Tudor Hall" - doesn't time fly when you are having fun!!

We quickly sped round to the Tudor Hall (about 10 mins drive) in order to catch the 4 pm tour - and we were so glad we did. The tour guide (as with all National Trust Guides), gave us a lot of useful backround information, and made the connection between the Old Hall and Tatton Hall which was through marriage.

We started off in the barn (picture shows
Japanese GardenJapanese GardenJapanese Garden

A bridge over not troubled water,showing pagoda [Inset]
what is called the 'A' structure which was made of oak for strength) and saw many of the old instruments which were used to cut hay for feeding animals and thatching and wheat for threashing to make bread. The grain as opposed to the chaff, was cleared up by "fair means or foul" (and it was the latter "fowl"!) who ensured every last grain was swept up - i.e. the cockerels and hens who roamed free. A small group of us then strolled over to the Old Hall which was a unique medieval experience. Once through the heavy wooden door we entered a totally different era, the hall being used as a feasting hall with a huge tapestry hung on the walls, stone floor, wooden sculptured ceiling (on the inside and thatch on the roof) lit by candles with a "camp style" fire in the middle and a heavy wooden balcony leading to the upstair rooms. (We expected to see Robin Hood and his merry men at any moment!). The guide talked us through what a feasting evening would have consisted of and gave us many 'common sayings' which were derived from medieval times. i.e. a square meal has come
Jurassic RhubarbJurassic RhubarbJurassic Rhubarb

A couple of places are like Jurassic Park - this is one of them
from the practice of meals being served on square wooden plates. (See below for more examples) We were amazed at how many sayings which we used today originated from medieval practices. It was cold inside the building but one could savour the atmosphere of celebration which the hall was used for and the cosy atmosphere which would have been created by candlelight and the warm glow of a central fire.

There were 3 bedrooms, all very differing styles. 2 were in medieval style and consisted of 2 low lying small-ish beds (as people slept curled up because of the cold and were superstitious enough to believe that if you 'lay out straight' you could die!), the mattresses of which were stuffed with straw on top of ropes 'laced' across the frame of the bed (the alternative of our spring bases). Because various people had actually lived in the house, alterations had been made over the years in the remaining rooms which were post Victorian i.e. kitchen and bedroom and post 1930's i.e. dining room, kitchen, living room (see composite picture below).

Once again, we had had a splendid day and we returned home with a bottle of "damson
Tower GardenTower GardenTower Garden

Tower Garden - a quiet secluded little garden - almost a secret - showing rose garden (just a few steps away) as inserts
wine" from the Gamekeeper's shop, to which we treated ourselves later when we reflected on a useful and enjoyable day; one which we would highly recommend!

Examples of phrases prompted by history



Square meal - Square 'trenchers' were used for plates- two circles, a large one for food and a small one for salt were cut into the wood - the circle of salt would be dipped into with the smallest finger and touched to the tongue,rather than sprinkled on food.This results in the idea that holding one's smallest finger out when eating or drinking is indicative of breeding and the other fingers were used one each for meat,poultry and fish - this was to try and be hygienic.

Window - "Wind Hole": a hole in the wall through which the wind comes in.

Uppercrust - Whilst eating bread the lords and ladies took the upper part of the bread because the lower part was hard from being on the baking stone.

Threshold - A stone that literally held the 'thresh' back in the barn from wheat. A small wall at the door opening which stopped the threshed wheat from blowing entirely away.

Seperate
Rose GardenRose GardenRose Garden

The sweetest smelling and our favourite garden showing the pond and lion waterfall as inset
the Wheat from the Chaff - A literal analogy to actually seperating the grain from the husk.

CupBoard - Before the advent of TABLES - a board was placed over two trestles and the one which the cups were kept on was called a cup-board.

SideBoard - A board/trestles that was at the side of the room.

Chairman of the Board - The most important person at the table - with the special chair.

Above Board - The board of the 'table' may have had games painted on the underside and after the meal it may have been flipped and the games played. Keeping one's hands 'above board' showed that no cheating was going on.

Underhanded - Anyone who had their hands under the board could be deemed to be cheating.

Treading the Boards - The board may have been removed from tables and used as a platform upon which actors,players and musicians may have entertained - on stage - or 'treading the boards'.

Sleep tight....don't let the bed bugs bite - Beds used to be sprung with rope which could become slack. The idea of 'Sleeping Tight" is an allusion to having
The MazeThe MazeThe Maze

If you believe we put a man on the moon...then you believe reached the centre of the maze
to tighten the ropes so that the torso did not touch the floor and so be in reach of bugs on the floor boards.

Curfew - This is derived from the used of a metallic hood used to cover the fire in the room to stop sparks from falling upon the straw floor - its original name is a French derivation - and people would go to bed after the hood was placed over the fire - and so no one was out after 'curfew'.






Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

The Likely PearThe Likely Pear
The Likely Pear

A couple of unlikely customers with the pear fruits
Exit gateExit gate
Exit gate

The way out of the gardens,showing the fernery [Inset] which contains a pool of coldwater fish
Side ViewSide View
Side View

The Mansion with Charlotte's garden [Inset]
The Old HallThe Old Hall
The Old Hall

Don't judge a book (or a Hall) by it's cover! Red brick on the outside but this dates back to 1600's


Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0475s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb