Scotland and England 2023


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom
April 3rd 2023
Published: April 4th 2023
Edit Blog Post

This morning we ate at the hotel. Breakfast was a typical hotel breakfast except for the meats and cheeses and haggis! It was fairly early so there was no crowd. We both wanted to check out some shops but most don't open until 10, although a few do. You just have to walk around and find them open. Chrissy was checking out antique stores and book shops. I was hitting the souvenir shops. We each found what we were looking for.

Once back at the hotel we dragged our luggage downstairs because our cab as there. I was a 10 minute ride, but we didn't want to rag our suitcases up and down hill that far. The Waverly terminal was large but we found our train easily. We boarded and waited to depart.. It was a 2.5 hour train ride to York, England, but it was a nice trip! Usually I don't sleep on trains....afraid I'll miss something, but today I felt queasy and took a diamine....it knocked me out for part of the trip.

York is a historic town founded by the Romans in 71 AD and taken over by the Vikings in 668. It is a walled city and known for its daffodils. We noticed them the minute we pulled in to the station. We hope to get a closer look tomorrow.

We went to the taxi stand to get a taxi to our hotel but learned we could only get so close. Many of the streets of York are closed off to traffic from 10:30 t8ill 5:00. So we had to drag our luggage down cobblestone streets to the Hocus Pocus Tiny hotel in the center of town. Lesson learned! enter town before 10:30 or after 5 pm!



This town is supposed to be the prot0type of the town in Harry Potter. Many Harry Potter have sprung up all over town. People stand in ine to get in the sho0ps. Tonight was no different. Chrissy stood in line for about an hour and a half to get in the most popular store here Afterwards, we had a light dinner at an Irish Pub! Back to the hotel room to et ready for the day tomorrow.



Nearly everything hre closes at 5 PM except for convenience stores and restaurants, so we have an early night tonight to organize and catch up!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb