Caernarvonshire 3 - Finally a home and some old photographs turned up which leads me to I am not a number


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Gwynedd » Dinas Mawddwy
December 8th 2013
Published: December 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Finally we have a home.

Suzy who has been our home for the past 5 weeks is now parked up at Teversal caravan club site for two weeks whilst we settle in to our new home and sort out a space to park her. We managed a discount for leaving her there. We would have liked to have left her there over Christmas but apparently the site is full from Christmas Eve until after NewYear.

Things became somewhat hectic over the last week. A trip to the solicitors to sign the contracts, finding out that we cannot park a caravan nor a house on wheels in front of the garage. Not that we could have as it is on a slope and is quite short compared to the drive we had in our last home.

And then the kick in the teeth no houses on wheels in the rear garden. Our solicitor told us that this clause had been added in the 1970's when the builders wanted to ensure that no-one untidied nor made the estate an eyesore. Homes built at the time were subject to rules and regulations about extensions - permission had to be sought from the builder to prevent all manner of additions detrimental to the overall look of the site being erected. She suggested that the builder by now had probably gone to the building site in the sky, the company long gone and the only problem might be the neighbours. We thought after all this time we would risk it and buy the property. I wonder how many people had motorhomes in the 70's probably just a few VW transporters.

The following three days were spent going back and to to Wales twice to pick up our furniture from the lockup and emptying it into the house, the garage and anywhere else we could find. The third day was spent picking up plants both outdoor and indoor from the mother in laws where she had lovingly looked after them for us. We were shattered, tired and unbelievably stressed out as we lived for a few days with boxes all over the floor, no clothes and no semblance of order. Wandering about from room to room with little idea what to put anywhere.

After three days some of the boxes were emptied, we had something to sit on and some furniture in its place. The heating is poor despite having a relatively new boiler fitted, the radiators painted with matt paint, the kitchen looking like an advert from the 1970's. Basket weave cupboards with brown sink and cooker. Artexed ceilings - very 70's. So much to do and it wont get finished for Christmas.

The rest of the week has been spent digging out a conifer so that we can park the car on the drive and digging the top part of the garden ready for hardcore so that Suzy can be parked. Having met two of our neighbours I dont think they will object too much as she will be hidden behind a laurel hedge 8 foot tall.

Phone line installed, internet up and running after much phoning back and to and much to our surprise we have found some of our old photos which appeared to be missing from Portmeirion. We visited some years ago and enjoyed it very much. An Italianate village in the heart of rural Wales. It was designed and built by Sir Clough Williams- Ellis between 1925 and 1975 in the style of an Italian village and is now owned by a charitable trust. It was my second visit the first was around 1981. It hadnt changed much.

The village of Portmeirion has served as the location for numerous films and television shows, most famously serving as The Village in the 1960s television show The Prisoner. It was designed and built by Sir Clough Williams-Ellis between 1925 and 1975

Williams- Ellis denied that the design was based on the town of Portofino, Italy. He stated only that he wanted to pay tribute to the atmosphere of the Mediterranean. We feel that anything that looks like Italy is just about right in our book. The village was constructed using bit and pieces, fragments from demolished buildings and the whole thing very pretty indeed.

There are beautiful walks along the estuary with views of Snowdonia beyond. The grounds full of rhododendrums which would be stunning in the Spring however we missed them as we visited in the Autumn. On site there is a restaurant, a hotel, a small cafe and a number of holiday lets. Entrance fee was £7 each for pensioners. There is something good to be said for being over 60 .

The main thing that Portmeirion is famous for is the iconic spy drama starring Patrick McGoohan. Set in Portmeirion number 6 tried to escape and to find out who was number 2 and number 1. Having watched the programme many times I still cant understand it at all but it was still great to watch. The cry I am not a number but a free man ringing in my ears and still brings a smile to my face. And mini mokes and white balloons. Anyone who has watched it will understand what I am talking about.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



12th December 2013

Finally you are home...
albeit with much work to do. How about a picture of it when you are done?
14th December 2013

You might get one
Yes you might just get one - day spent digging out a hole to put Suzy in. Not literally but it feels like it. Hopefully we will get her back end of the week. Are you ready for the christmas season.
12th December 2013
Portmeirion

Worth the wait!
Congratulations on finding such a charming place! I love that it was partly constructed of found and recycled materials--beautiful and conscientious. Good luck settling in!
14th December 2013
Portmeirion

worth the wait
portmeirion is a lovely place and its great that all the buildings were rescued and replaced in a lovely setting . Thank you cannot wait to get on the road again in Suzy. So much world to see
24th December 2013

The Prisoner
As a teenager, "The Prisoner" was one of my favorite shows. And yes, I had a bit of a crush on Patrick McGoohan. Does the present day Portmeirion retain any of the features from the TV show?
24th December 2013

patrick McGoohan
Oh yes I had a crush on him too and loved the Mini Mokes they used around the village. Strangely it doesnt really hit you in the face that the Prisoner was set there. Some references but not that much. But when you walk round if you knew the programme you recognise the shops, the houses, the beach with the big white balloons floating along the seashore waiting to chase and bounce and catch Patrick as he ran for freedom. Wonderful programme - never did understand it but loved it nevertheless Happy Christmas .

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 17; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0677s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb